The Top 40 Natural Online Beauty Stores (Plus, 20 to Avoid!)
Tossing toxic beauty products for safer, healthier and more natural options–all of which actually work!–has never been easier. Today’s round up features our top 40 favorite natural online beauty stores, brands and products for all your cosmetic, skincare, hair and makeup needs, plus some tips and discount codes for how to save money on your green beauty routine! We also reveal 20 to avoid, despite greenwashing claims.
UPDATE: This post was originally published in August 2018 but has been updated with new brands, products, and information.
Though most people are willing to acknowledge the detrimental effects processed food has in our bodies, often, we forget about the other products we put on our bodies, even though they can be just as damaging. In fact, skin is our largest organ and absorbs over 60 percent of what we put on it — and these harmful chemicals go directly into our bloodstream!
I know I assumed for a long time that dermatologist-recommended or expensive beauty products from Sephora and high-end retailers had to be high-quality and safe. Sadly, I couldn’t have been more wrong (turns out, price has nothing to do with safety!).
Unfortunately, most store-bought beauty products are filled with a potent cocktail of carcinogens and other dangerous chemicals, including parabens, fragrance and harmful preservatives that mess with our hormones and irritate our skin.
The good news is that there are a growing number of options when it comes to shopping online for natural beauty products. These stores put customer safety first by selling products that are natural, non-toxic and just as effective.
Below I’ve featured my top 15 favorite online beauty stores that I regularly use, trust and love, as well as an additional 25 natural beauty brands that you can check out for more buying options. We’ve even added a section of 20 beauty brands that claim to be safe, gentle, natural and green but are actually full of harsh and harmful chemicals (greenwashing is real!! don’t be fooled!).
The even better news? I’ve totally got your back and have some discounts for you to enjoy when you shop at these incredible online natural beauty retailers (yep, nothing like shopping for wrinkle cream on your couch in your jammies!). Yeah!
This list includes just a few of my top product picks from each store, but for an extensive list of My Current Green Beauty Routine, check out this post where I break down my favorites in all things makeup, skincare, hair care, body care, oral care, prenatal/maternity personal care and my past loves.
Alright, let’s jump right in!
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Beautycounter
Looking for safe, non-toxic makeup or skincare? You’ll love Beautycounter, one of the cleanest beauty brands on the market! Beautycounter is truly committed to a health and safety standard that goes well beyond what is legally required in the United States, making absolutely beautiful and effective products WITHOUT 1,500 questionable or harmful chemicals that are found in most conventional, store-bought products–even the high-end ones from Sephora. Read your labels, and make the switch to cleaner makeup now!
Some of my favorite skincare and makeup products from Beautycounter:
- Beautycounter’s Cleansing Balm (the ultimate multitasker)
- Beautyconter’s Overnight Peel
- Beautycounter’s #1 Brightening Oil
- Beautycounter’s Tint Skin Foundation
- Beautycounter’s Bronzer
- Beautycounter’s Velvet Eyeshadow Palettes (especially The Romantic)
- Beautycounter’s Lip Sheers (especially love the color plum)
- Beautycounter’s Countertime Collection (safe + natural retinol–amazing for anti-aging!)
- Beautycounter’s Countermatch Regimen (super gentle + hydrating!)
Tip: How to Save Money at Beautycounter
One of the major perks about Beautycounter that many people don’t know about is their loyalty program, Band of Beauty.
It includes some awesome benefits like:
- Every time you shop, you get a 10% off product credit that you can use on your next order, essentially saving you 10% on all future orders.
- Get a FREE full-sized product as a complimentary gift for signing up when you spend $50.
- Free shipping, always, when you spend over $100.
- Special offers, discounts and exclusive access to new products before they’re available to the general public.
It’s only $29 to join, which you’ll make back with the free gift and future savings. If you’re going to spend more than $100 with Beautycounter each year, this is seriously a no-brainer!
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Detox Market
The Detox Market works with dozens of pioneers in the green beauty movement. This online shop curates the best of natural beauty and never compromises efficiency, while ensuring all products are always cruelty-free. They even keep an up to date list of banned ingredients that you will never find in the products they sell–no parabens, no synthetic fragrance, no PEGS, no Glycols, no formaldehyde — only pure goodness.
Some of my favorite products from Detox Market:
- Strange Invisible Natural Perfumes
- Plume Brow Pomade
- RMS Eye Polish
- Josh Rosebrook Hairspray
- Vapour Organic Beauty Atmosphere Luminous Foundation
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: True Botanicals
True Botanicals is truly one of my favorite skincare lines. It’s the only line I’ve tried where my skin FINALLY stopped breaking out–I’m talking not a single breakout, the discoloration and acne scars faded, my skin is silky smooth and, dare I say, glowing. It’s a freaking miracle! True Botanical‘s Clear Line has proven that clear, radiant skin is possible, even if you have PCOS, hormonal disorders or digestion issues. Plus, the brand is certified MADE SAFE, cruelty-free and the majority of ingredients are certified organic and wild-harvested, meaning they’re grown in their natural environment.
Here’s what I use (and LOVE!):
- True Botanicals Pre-Cleanse Oil
- True Botanicals Clear Nutrient Toner
- True Botanicals Clear Pure Radiance Oil
- True Botanicals Clear Cellular Repair Serum (I mix in the Vitamin C Booster at night)
- True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask (obsessed with this! I use it almost nightly)
I’ll admit, the line is a bit pricey, but it is SO worth it!
If you want to get personalized results on what products will be best for you, take their skin quiz to get recommendations.
Tip: How to Save Money at True Botanicals
If you’re ready to have the best skin of your life, get 15% off with the code Root15.
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Leahlani
One of my latest skincare obsession, Leahlani products might just be the best treat I’ve ever given my skin. I’m not joking when I say that they smell good enough to eat! Plus they come infused with lots of Hawaiian aloha love–even their packaging is downright beautiful and inspiring.
Some of my favorite products are:
- Leahlani’s Mermaid Mask (a superfood mask for the ultimate glow)
- Leahlani’s Pamplemousse Tropical Enzyme Cleansing Oil (a makeup remover that smells INCREDIBLE while gently exfoliating and brightening my skin)
- Leahlani’s Honey Love Exfoliator (leaves my skin unbelievably soft and clear)
- Leahlani Siren Serum (skin-brightening serum)
- Kokoleka Detoxifying Facial Mask
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Credo Beauty
Credo Beauty is another favorite natural beauty resource of mine. Their impressive lineup of brands use safe, sustainable, and ethically sourced ingredients to create products that do what they’re supposed to do. Credo never carries products with known harmful ingredients or animal byproducts, and they only stock brands that never test on animals. Their list of never-ever-used toxic ingredients ensures that what you’re buying is safe. What’s more beautiful than that?!
Some of my favorite brands sold at Credo Beauty:
- Juice Beauty Skincare
- Acure Organics Skincare (their face washes and scrubs are awesome!)
- Mother Dirt’s Probiotic Skincare + Haircare
- S.W. Basics of BK’s organic and sustainable skincare
Tip: How to Save Money at Credo Beauty
Install the free cash back app, eBates (now called Rakuten)! Seriously, if you don’t already use this 100% free cash back app, you’ve got to stop what you’re doing and sign up. I’ve literally received well over $1,000 and counting in cash back over the last couple years, from shopping at places I was already spending money anyway.
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Laurel
The Laurel line is a ritualistic range of flower and herb-based skincare, formulated with impeccably sourced, highly vibrant whole plants picked at their peak for unmatched transparency, purity, and results. Her exclusive partnerships with local artisan farmers ensure the highest quality and most stringent transparency. Their mutual commitment to only 100% organic, raw, unrefined plant materials guarantees unparalleled freshness and efficacy. Laurel Skin believes beauty should be a loving self care practice that begins and ends with mindfulness.
Some of my favorite products are:
- Laurel Anti-Inflammatory Facial Serum (perfect when I have active breakouts)
- Laurel Nightly Restore Balm (I wake up with buttery soft glowing skin)
- Laurel Skincare’s Honey Berry Enzyme Mask (plumps, brightens, and firms the skin)
- Laurel’s Brighten Mask (what I reach for when discoloration is really bad)
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Beauty Heroes
In addition to being a beauty store, Beauty Heroes has an amazing subscription box delivering full-size hero products in their monthly Discovery Box. Typically, each box has one Hero product and ‘Sidekick’ trial size (sometimes you get more than one sidekick or several full-size Hero products). Each box is valued at least $90 in truly healthy beauty that meets their strict ingredient standards. Bonus: When you are a member of Beauty Heroes, you receive a 15% discount in their Beauty Store, insider exclusives and early access to new product launches.
Some of my favorite products:
- Maya Chia Refresh Mint Mask
- Josh Rosebrook Active Enzyme Exfoliator
- plus many other awesome brands included in this post!
Tip: How to Save Money at Beauty Heroes
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Thrive Market
Hands down, Thrive Market is the number one way I save on healthy products and foods. Think of it like an online Costco (wholesale prices) but for natural products. I literally save hundreds of dollars every year shopping for pantry staples, toiletries, and healthy items at Thrive, and they’re always giving away free gifts, discount codes and helpful advice. If you struggle with the cost of natural living, you NEED to sign up for Thrive!
Some of my favorite products from Thrive:
- Dr. Bronner’s Organic Castile Soap (my go-to for DIY cleaning and skincare)
- Primal Pit Paste Deodorant
- Everyday Coconut Body Wash
- NOW Foods Natural Oils and Butters (I stock up on these staples to DIY my own skincare recipes at home)
- Aura Cacia Essential Oils
Tip: How to Save Money at Thrive Market
If you’re ready to save money and try out Thrive Market for yourself, click here to get a $20 shopping credit when you pay for an annual subscription! Also keep an eye on their deals where you can get extra discounts on certain products and brands, or you can get a free gift and samples with your order.
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: AILLEA
AILLEA is all about empowering women to make healthy choices about the products we put on our bodies. It’s truly a haven where EVERY product is safe–free of parabens, sulfates, petrochemicals, endocrine disruptors and other toxic chemicals–and never tested on animals, no exceptions! They pride themselves on how all of the products still work and deliver the performance we expect, so that you truly don’t have to compromise your beauty standards to be healthy.
Some of my favorite brands from AILLEA:
- Agent Nateur’s (holi)stick Deodorant(one of the best natural deodorants ever!)
- One Love Organics Gardenia + Tea Antioxidant Body Serum
- Indie Lee Blemish Stick
- Suki Skincare Exfoliating Foaming Cleanser
- RMS Beauty uncover up concealer
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Annmarie Skin Care
When it comes to natural skincare, it doesn’t get more crunchy and perfect than Annmarie Skin Care’s organic, wildcrafted products, which are made from sustainably harvested herbs and plants. Plus, everything I’ve tried smells totally AH-MAZING–it’s like aromatherapy and skincare in one! I’m personally loving their serums and face oils–they’re super light, but moisturizing and have been helpful in clearing up some lingering acne and scarring.
Some of my faves from Annmarie Skin Care:
- Citrus Stem Cell Serum
- Herbal Facial Oil for Oily Skin
- Anti-Aging Serum
- Kaolin Micro Exfoliant
- Probiotic Serum with Tremella
- Aloe Herb Cleanser
I recommend you start off by taking their skin quiz, which asks 12 simple questions based on your lifestyle. It then generates info on what your skin type is, along with recommendations on which of their skin care products would be best for your skin.
Tip: How to Save Money at Annmarie Skin Care
If you want to try before you buy, there are two different sample kits you can choose from (plus, they even ship all their products internationally!):
1) Skincare: Get a two-piece skincare sample kit tailored to your skin type and their 21-day Skin Detox e-guide, plus a FREE Illuminating Pearl Mask sample to soothe, brighten, and reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles! The kits are only $10 each ($50 value) and shipped to you anywhere in the world for free! Plus, you’ll also receive a $10 coupon that you can use for a future purchase – so it’s essentially like getting these samples for free. Cha-ching!
2) Makeup: Try out clean makeup with their Minerals Sample Kit for just $20, which also ships anywhere in the world for free, and comes with a $10 coupon code to use on a future purchase of a full sized product.
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Amazon
You can find tons of natural beauty products on Amazon, usually at amazing prices, or at least comparable to other stores and websites. One of the perks is that–if you’re anything like me and order from Amazon more often than you can count–you can easily shop for these items by adding them in with your other purchases, and then already have them in hand in two days if you have a Prime membership. (Seriously, I think Prime is worth every penny for the free 2-day shipping, access to movies, books and music, and now you can even save money at Whole Foods to boot! Start your free Prime trail here).
Check out this post for my top 20 Best Natural Beauty Products on Amazon. Here’s a selection of a few:
- Inika Organics Vegan Mascara
- Miracle Face Erase Microfiber Makeup Remover Face Cloths (all you need is water and this towel removes ALL makeup!)
- Epsoak Sleep Formula Epsom Salts
- Essential Oxygen Organic Brushing Rinse Mouthwash
- Mineral Fusion lipstick in Alluring
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Innersense Organic Beauty
Innersense’s products are like love in a bottle. They treat hair as a self-care ritual and all their gorgeous products are organic and plant-based. I’ve had such a hard time finding natural hair products that actually work, so when I finally discovered Innersense last year, I was in heaven!
Some of my favorite products:
- Innersense Organic Beauty Color Awakening Hairbath
- Innersense Organic Beauty Color Radiance Daily Conditioner (my favorite conditioner by far!)
- Innersense Organic Beauty Sweet Spritz Leave-In Conditioner
- Innersense I Create Waves
- Innersense I Create Volume
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Follain
Follain is an online clean beauty store that researches thousands of beauty products to ensure their safety, then matches you with the products for your needs. They even have a perfect match guarantee, replacing any products until they get it right! If you’re looking for personalized skincare, you’ve got to check them out!
Some of my favorite products:
- Naturopathica’s Manuka Honey Cleansing Balm
- Josh Rosebrook’s Hydrating Accelerator
- May Lindstrom’s The Problem Solver
Tip: How to Save Money at Follain
And remember our friend eBates/Rakuten, the free cash back app? You get 4% back at Follain!
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: The Choosy Chick
The Choosy Chick is a green beauty boutique with a very strict ingredient standard. They ensure every item is safe, effective, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable or reusable packaging.
Some of my favorite products:
- Green and Gorgeous Organic Dry Shampoo
- The Quick Flick Eyeliner
- Eco Tan Face Tan Water
- plus they carry other favorite brands like INIKA Organics
Tip: How to Save Money at The Choosy Chick
Best Natural Online Beauty Stores: Love Goodly
One of my favorite subscription boxes is LOVE GOODLY. It’s my top pick for how to find new natural beauty and skincare products for a minimal cost! Here’s the deal: every other month, LOVE GOODLY sends subscribers 4-5 cruelty-free, natural, vegan products, including a mix of full-size products and deluxe samples of non-toxic beauty and skincare, healthy snacks, wellness items and eco accessories.
Each box provides an amazing value–always over $85+!–and they also have an online shop where you can purchase hundreds of safe, natural products from brands like 100% Pure, Garden of Life’s mykind Organics line, Pacifica, Pukka, Vega, Vaute Couture and many more. Bonus: Every purchase also supports one of their cause partners, including Farm Sanctuary.
Tip: How to Save Money at LOVE GOODLY
Get 20% off your order with the code ROOTREVEL20.
25 More Green + Natural Online Beauty Stores
Below is a list of additional online natural beauty stores. Some of these sites or brands I adore, and some I personally haven’t ordered from, but wanted to give you a comprehensive list of places you can check out for yourself. From my research, all of these places have trusted selections of natural, healthy and non-toxic beauty products!
- Safe & Chic – get 10% off with our special code ROOT10 (I recommend you try Inika Organics Loose Mineral Foundation with SPF25)
- EVOLVh – use the code ROOT for 15% off (another of my fave hair care brands–try the UltraRepair Reconstructing Masque, Wonder Balm, Ultimate Styling Lotion, and SuperFinish Polishing Balm)
- Wander Beauty – get 15% off your first order when you sign up for their email list (I’ve been obsessed with their Perfect Illusion Duo and Flawless Flush Duo–their brushes totally make all the difference too! Note that while their products are cruelty-free and free of parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, and synthetic fragrance, they’re not as 100% clean as some other brands)
- Be Natural Organics – take 30% off your first order with the code SS30NEW
- REN Skincare (the REN Skincare Ready Set Glow Daily AHA Tonic is one of my faves)
- Au Naturale Cosmetics (I recommend the Anywhere Creme Multistick (lipstick) in Grapefruit, Luminous Creme Bronzer Stick in Latte, and the Créme de la Creme Eye Shadow in Vintage)
- Babo Botanicals (I love their baby care products)
- Clean Beauty Mart
- Real Purity
- Vapour Beauty
- 100% Pure (adore their eyeshadow in satin cream)
- Integrity Botanicals
- Blissoma Holistic Skincare (try their top-selling product the Smooth A+ Correcting Serum)
- Fig & Flower Natural Beauty (actually based here in Atlanta!)
- Maya Chia
- Vitamin Shoppe (sells brands like Mineral Fusion, Avalon Organics, Desert Essence, etc.)
- Citrine Natural Beauty Bar
- CLOVE + HALLOW
- naked + thriving
- Alima Pure
- Meow Meow Tweet (vegan)
- The Green Life
- Hynt Beauty
- ST. TROPICA
20 Popular Yet Harmful Brands NOT to Buy
Unfortunately, it can be hard to distinguish the good from the bad when it comes to natural beauty brands since the industry is unregulated.
Plus, many brands greenwash their marketing, meaning they deceptively claim and make the products look all healthy and natural, green and gentle on the packaging or through their reputation, but the ingredients are anything but.
Here are 20 common brands that I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Please note that not EVERY product from these brands is horrible, but some of their products do contain harmful ingredients like parabens, fragrance, sulfates, phthalates. Thus, they’re not brands that we can recommend as a whole, where you can trust that everything they make is clean and non-toxic. I recommend you proceed with caution with these brands, and use tools like the EWG’s Skin Deep Guide for reference.
- Rodan + Fields
- Yes To
- Burt’s Bees (bought out by Clorox!)
- The Body Shop
- Covergirl Natureluxe
- Herbal Essences
- Lush Cosmetics
- St. Ives
- Neutrogena Pure & Free
- Johnson’s Natural
- Kiss My Face
- Moroccan Oil
Do you have any other favorite online natural beauty stores? What are your favorites from this list? I’d love to know in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.