5-Minute Superfood Strawberry Chocolate Oatmeal
Breakfast in under 5 minutes? This Superfood Strawberry Chocolate Oatmeal is a total AM gamechanger. Chockfull of protein, fiber and healthy fats and bursting with delicious chocolatey flavor, this oatmeal is creamy and decadent, and yet weightloss-friendly and totally guilt-free!
This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
So the other day, I’m at my local Whole Foods and it was one of those grocery trips where I just went in to wander and see what looked good.
Greeting me right at the front entrance was big, beautiful organic strawberries on sale for $3!!!
YES! I love Spring and Summer produce. Is there anything better than a juice strawberry at the peak of ripeness?
Obviously, I bought 2 boxes and immediately started dreaming up recipes to use these berry beauties!
But the next morning, I woke up and I was dead tired and absolutely starving and I knew a complicated breakfast was not in my future.
Sure I could’ve blended up a strawberry smoothie, but I was craving something warm.
At first, I thought, strawberries and cream oatmeal. Perfect. But then I caught sight of the chocolate ghee in my pantry and knew at once that I needed to make a strawberry chocolate oatmeal.
But not just any strawberry chocolate oatmeal–I wanted something super nutrient-dense, chockfull of protein, healthy fats and fiber to set me up for success for the rest of the day.
How to Make Superfood Strawberry Chocolate Oatmeal
Alright, so grab the ingredients above. Add them to a bowl with some deliciously creamy whole milk and gluten-free oats and give it a good stir.
What do you need next? 2 minutes. Seriously, that’s it. And this chocolate oatmeal is yours.
While you microwave the oatmeal, cut up the strawberries. It’s the perfect amount of time.
Then grab a big ol’ spoonful of chocolate ghee and swirl it into your oatmeal. Chocolate ghee?! Yes, you heard me right.
I’ve long been obsessed with 4th & Heart’s flavored ghees, and any excuse I can find to use their new line of chocolate ghees, I take!
For this chocolate oatmeal recipe, I went with their Passionfruit Cacoa flavor and it did not disappoint.
Sounds indulgent, tastes like heaven, but is actually super healthy. Check it out:
This dairy-free scoop of creamy goodness lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure, reduces inflammation, actually lowers body fat, acts as a detoxifier, improves colon health, and supports healthy insulin levels. (source)
If that weren’t enough: Passionfruit is renowned for its natural calming effect and this low-glycemic chocolate spread–it’s naturally sweetened with dates–is chockfull of iron, fiber, and omega fatty acids. Certified Paleo, too!
The health benefits of this chocolate oatmeal don’t stop there. Take a look:
- Packed with protein, fiber and antioxidants, goji berries are nicknamed ‘The Happy Berries’ for the sense of well-being they provide. They are a true antioxidant powerhouse and contain more than 20 vitamins and minerals. Ounce for ounce, goji berries contain more antioxidants than oranges, more Vitamin A than carrots, and more iron than soybeans and spinach. The taste is somewhere between a dried cherry, raisin and cranberry – making it a killer compliment to sweet strawberries.
- You may be less familiar with camu camu powder, which has a tart berry flavor and balance out the sweetness of this chocolate oatmeal. The Camu Berry is one of the world’s most bountiful sources of Vitamin C, with as much as 60 times more Vitamin C per serving than an orange. Talk about immunity boosting! Vitamin C also fights free radicals, which can lead to inflammation, disease and premature aging. In addition to boosting your day-to-day immunity, this whole-food form of Vitamin C is ideal for added protection in times of change: flu season, air travel, periods of intense exertion, or even when you’re in the midst of a busy time at work or home.
- To add a hint of sweetness and spice without any refined sugar, I rely on cinnamon, which also helps balance blood sugar.
- Meanwhile, chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium…I loved adding them to oats, smoothies and the like for their digestion-friendly properties. As someone who often struggles with constipation, these fiber-rich seeds always do the trick 😉
- And, duh, strawberries are packed with vitamins, fiber, and particularly high levels of antioxidants (read: immunity booster, cancer warder-offer, wrinkle reducer, cholesterol and blood pressure lowerer, and inflammation diminisher).
Adding Collagen to Oatmeal
And, of course, we can’t forget the collagen. Because when I said I wanted a nourishing breakfast, I meant it.
And by now, you’ve heard my wax poetic enough times about all the benefits of collagen protein–it improves your skin’s appearance, reduces joint pain, helps break down proteins and soothes your gut’s lining (AMAZING for anyone with digestion issues), increases your metabolism, strengthens teeth, nails and hair, helps your body detox AND reduces the appearance of cellulite (source).
Plus, adding collagen to this chocolate oatmeal means it’s jam-packed with protein, which is super important in the morning and helps with weightloss (who doesn’t love that?).
The collagen will literally just dissolve into the oatmeal, so it couldn’t be easier!
I went with Vital Proteins’ Vanilla & Coconut Water flavor, as I just love the combo of vanilla and chocolate.
If you don’t want to affect the flavor at all, go with the original, unflavored variety.
PRO Tip: To save some money and time, you can take advantage of Vital Proteins convenient subscription deal where you get 20% off your first order and 10% off every reoccurring order thereafter.
You can also buy Vital Proteins on Amazon.
So there you have it. An easy (5 minutes, come on!) breakfast bursting with seasonal produce, nutrient-dense superfoods, fiber-rich oats and seeds and FREAKING AMAZING chocolate-y flavor!
If you try this Superfood Strawberry Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe, be sure to share a photo and tag me @rootandrevel on social media–I’d LOVE to see how it turned out for you!
Superfood Strawberry Chocolate Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup Organic Grass-fed Whole Milk (I recommend Organic Valley Grassmilk)
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic camu camu
- 1 teaspoon organic goji powder
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen
- 1 tablespoon 4th & Heart Chocolate Ghee (I recommend the Passionfruit flavor)
- 1/2 cup organic strawberries quartered
- 1 teaspoon organic chia seeds
- Add oats and milk to a glass bowl. Stir in cinnamon, camu camu, goji powder and vanilla collagen until well mixed. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate ghee. Top with fresh strawberries and chia seeds. Serve and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.