Hey there! I’m so glad that you’ve decided to embrace your wellness and join the R+R community. We’ve got hundreds of helpful articles on natural living and holistic health, plus TONS of healthy and delicious recipes…but I know it can be overwhelming to figure out where to start. So I’ve created a little guide here for you to help you navigate Root + Revel if it’s your first time here.
I always think it’s helpful to start at the beginning. So be sure to check out the Story Behind Root + Revel and How I Healed My Body. We’re all about living naturally, without sacrifice here, with a particular focus on complete holistic health and wellbeing. My health and wellness journey really changed when I got diagnosed with PCOS, IBS/Leaky Gut, Insulin Resistance, and Hypothyroidism. If you struggle with any of that, don’t miss this Step-by-Step Guide: How I Reversed my PCOS, Leaky Gut + Insulin Resistance. Here are a few more healing essential guides:
- How To Heal Leaky Gut + Cure IBS Naturally
- Natural Treatments for Hypothyroidism
- PCOS Diet for Fertility + Hormone Balance
- How I Got Pregnant on My First Try with PCOS
- Is There a Cure for PCOS? How to Manage PCOS Once You’re in “Remission”
- My Daily Routine
It seems like every day, I get an email from a reader asking me for product recommendations. And while I absolutely LOVE hearing from y’all (seriously, nothing brings me more joy than connecting with you so keep the questions coming!), I thought I’d help a sistah (or brother) out and create a resource page with everything all in one spot. Click here for my favorite healthy and natural products. Likewise, you might enjoy these posts:
- My Current Green Beauty Routine
- My Current Green Cleaning Routine
- My Favorite Healthy Amazon Buys
- Top 7 Organic Meat Delivery Services
- 105 Natural Beauty Products That Actually Work
- Top 40 Online Beauty Stores
- 25 Cruelty-Free Brands + Products
Another one of my healing secrets: natural supplements and remedies. When used correctly, they can SUPERCHARGE YOUR HEALING and, quite honestly, work some serious miracles! After I tossed all my prescriptions in the trash, found a new doctor who focused on holistic remedies, and began taking safe and natural supplements, what do you know? Within a week, my chronic constipation (the same one that plagued me for nearly five years!) was completely gone. And a few months later, my other symptoms (think hormonal imbalances, fatigue, acne, and irregular blood sugar) began to improve and, ultimately, completely disappear. I am now 100% prescription free and I’ve never felt better! So what supplements do I take? Click here to find out what’s in my all-natural medicine cabinet. For more healing solutions, check out these posts:
- Supplements to Reverse PCOS + Balance Hormones
- What are Probiotics?
- 4 Myths About Probiotic Supplements
- How to Find an Integrative or Functional Medicine Doctor
- Ultimate Guide to Your Microbiome
- Natural Remedies for Common Illnesses
- What is Collagen? The Complete Guide to Collagen Supplements
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Cold + Flu Season
- Ultimate Guide: How to Pick a Prenatal Vitamin
- 7 Reasons to Go Off The Pill: The Truth About Birth Control Pill Side Effects
- How to Naturally Heal Adrenal Fatigue
- The Best At-Home Health Tests
- Women’s Health Tracking Tools to Track Periods, Increase Fertility + Balance Hormones
- How to Strengthen Your Immune System
- How to Treat Diabetes Naturally + Reduce Medications
- How to Treat Hashimoto’s Disease, Naturally
Let’s talk about food! I follow intuitive eating, an evidence-based model and self-care eating framework integrating instinct, emotion, and rational thought that ultimately teaches you how to be the expert of your body, rather than leaning on outside rules to make your eating decisions. Intuitive eating does not mean ignoring health; rather, it’s recognizing that nutrition and health are NOT a one-size-fits-all approach.
Intrigued? Read this Q&A with my Intuitive Eating Nutritionist, and then check out How Intuitive Eating and the Anti-Inflammatory Can Co-Exist.
And don’t fall into the trap of thinking that eating intuitively or healthy means spending lots of money. Here are 30 Ways to Save Money + Eat Healthy on a Budget. It doesn’t take tons of time either. Here are 25 Ways to Save Time + Be Healthy. Now it’s time to prep your kitchen for healthy eating. Check out these guides: How to Stock a Healthy Fridge, How to Stock a Healthy Pantry, and 20 Kitchen Items Everyone Needs. For more healthy food posts, check out the below:
- Butcher Box Review: Is It Really Worth It?
- Why You Should Drink Natural, Biodynamic and Organic Wine
- Animal Welfare Guide: Decoding Food Labels + Certifications
- Thrive Market Review + Shopping List
- The Best Healthy Meal Kit Delivery Service
- The Best Smoothie Delivery Companies
- How to Create Healthy Weekly Meal Plans (With Grocery List!)
- 9 Healthy Weekly Meal Plans To Make Dinner Easier
- The Best Healthy Cooking Oils + Fats
- The Ultimate Guide to Healthy Natural Sweeteners
- Is Milk Bad For You? A Guide to Healthy Dairy Products
- A Guide to Healthy Hot Drinks: Pantry Staples to Keep You Warm & Well
- Best Grocery Store: 5 Reasons I Shop at Sprouts Farmers Market
- Healthy Lunchbox Ideas: The Anatomy of a Healthy Packed Lunch
- Easy + Healthy Packed Lunch Ideas for School, Work + Busy Lifestyles
- Gluten Free Healthy Carbs (Pasta, Bread, Flour, Sweeteners + Snacks)
- The 25 Best Cookbooks Everyone Should Own
- The Best Clean + Healthy Protein Bars
And, of course, we’ve got dozens of nourishing recipes on Root + Revel to help you get started. Remember, I’m a food writer (and food lover!) first, so even though these recipes are all healthy, packed with nutrition and super good for you, they are also DELICIOUS and chockfull of FLAVOR. That is my promise to you–I will never suggest you just bake a boneless, skinless chicken breast, steam some broccoli and call it dinner (unless that’s your jam). But I say: blech! Flavor is paramount at Root + Revel, and all of our recipes look and taste as good as they will make you feel.
By now, you’re probably starting to get the hang of our philosophy here at R+R: we take a truly holistic approach to achieve true wellbeing, because health is not just about your body, the foods you eat, or exercising. It’s also your mindset, how you take care of yourself, how you manage your emotions, what kind of relationships you have in your life–it’s the ALL of it! First, you have GOT to prioritize self-care. Stop saying “I don’t have the time” and take 5 minutes RIGHT NOW to choose something from our 50 Ways to Practice Self Care List that you will commit to doing TODAY. Here are some other wellness tips to explore:
- 5 Secrets to Love Your Body
- What is Red Light Therapy? Health Benefits + Best Devices
- 9 Tips for How to Get Better Sleep, Naturally!
- Meditation Benefits (and the Easiest Technique That Works for Anyone)
- The Best Fun + Motivational Workout Videos
- 5 Ways Yoga Changed My Life (And Could Change Yours, Too!)
- Simplify Your Life: How to Become a Minimalist
- How Blue Light Glasses Improve Sleep, Energy + Health
After seeing massive changes in just a few short weeks based solely on what I put in my body, I started paying attention to what I put on my body. And I quickly found that coupled with the food I ate, the natural products I used (and the toxic products I tossed!) helped me live MY HEALTHIEST LIFE EVER! Not sure what I mean? Start with this post: the top 10 most toxic ingredients to avoid.
If there’s one ingredient I could caution you the most about, it’s fragrance. Learn all about the Dangers of Fragrance and Perfume here, and then head over to this post to discover How to Make Your Home Smell Good Naturally. Likewise, don’t miss this post on 13 Ways to Smell Good Naturally.
There’s another myth that natural, non-toxic products are more expensive, but don’t worry. I’ve rounded up some of my favorite natural + AFFORDABLE beauty brands, which you can find here. I also highly recommend making your own products to save money and reduce your toxic load. Make Your Own Skincare Products with these Easy + Affordable DIY Recipes. The same goes for cleaning products, which are incredibly harmful and unsafe. Here are some of my favorite DIY Natural Cleaning recipes to get you started. I promise you, once you start, you’ll never want to go back to store-bought products. But just in case you do… I’ve got you covered there, too. Here are my favorite non-toxic, store-bought cleaning products. Baby steps, right? We celebrate progress, not perfection over here 😉
If you want to up your eco-friendly game, I also recommend checking out some of our green home posts, like:
- Green Living Guide: 7 Ways to Transition to a Non-Toxic Life
- The Best Indoor Air Purifiers + Filters
- Ultimate Guide: Organic Mattresses + Natural Bedding
- 12 Things You Need for a Safe, Healthy + Eco-Friendly Home
- Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Plastic Wrap
- Why You Should Swap Plastic Straws for Stainless Steel
- Smart Home Security Guide to Reduce Stress
- Water Filtration Guide: The Dangers of Tap Water + Bottled Water
- Avoid These 5 Cancer-Causing Toxic Chemicals in Everyday Products
- Natural Baby Nursery Design Reveal
- Made Safe: The Top 10 Non-Toxic Brands
- Natural Baby Products: A Non-Toxic Baby Registry Checklist
- All Natural Pest Control For Home
- Good Bacteria Guide: Why Too Clean Isn’t Healthy
- The 90 Best Monthly Subscription Boxes For a Healthy Lifestyle
- The Best Essential Oil Diffusers + 7 Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
And for the green beauty lover, these are for you:
- Make the Switch to Safe Makeup + Skincare Products
- The 20 Best Natural Beauty Products on Amazon
- 105 Natural Beauty Products That Actually Work
- My Nighttime Skincare Routine for Glowing Skin
- The Best Natural Perfume + Fragrance Brands
- The Best Natural Hair Care Products + Tips
- The Best Natural Acne Treatments + Products
- The Best Natural Skincare Backed By Science
Listen, I know it can be overwhelming to read all of this info about the entirety of what it means to live the all-natural lifestyle. But it doesn’t have to be. Being healthy and embracing wellness is as simple as making a few savvy swaps, which is why we created an awesome series on R+R of the same name.
In Savvy Swaps, we analyze popular store-bought products with known toxins and harmful chemicals and offer up healthier alternatives, without any of the negative additives. Clicking this link will take you to the series and you can see the best non-toxic swaps for everything from condiments and packaged food to makeup and toiletries. Likewise, our Test Drive series, gives you some other great natural options. In this series, we try a handful of brands in a category of natural products and compare the real-life results, like natural deodorant, non-toxic toothpaste and safe sunscreen.
Have you had a chance to check out our In Her Shoes series yet? It is one of my all-time favorite stories to write every month and I always leave feeling SO inspired. That’s because the country’s leading health experts (think Melissa Hartwig of Whole30, Diane Sanfilippo of Practical Paleo, Ivy Larson of Clean Cuisine and even my holistic doctor, Dr. Taz!) sit down with us and share their best healthy eating and living tips. Whenever I meet healthy, beautiful, successful women, I’m always dying to know what it’s like to walk in their shoes. What do they eat? What products do they use? What’s their routine? I’m obsessed with other peoples’ stories and love sharing uplifting women with y’all! So be sure to check our In Her Shoes series out and see which inspiring woman resonates with you.
And finally, to get super meta on you, here are some blog posts about blogging. That is blogging as a business, monetizing your website, building a six-figure career working for yourself, doing what you love and helping others along the way!
- How to Start a Food Blog in 6 Easy Steps
- Income Reports
- Blogging Business: Outsource, Delegate + Invest for Fast Growth
- Sponsored Content: How to Get Paid Working With Brands As A Blogger
- Affiliate Marketing For Bloggers: 10 Strategies To Increase Your Income
- The 22 Best Books for Entrepreneurs + Bloggers
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Online Courses For Starting a Successful Blog
- Food Blogger Pro: How to Start, Grow + Monetize Your Blog
- Pitches that Worked eBook
If you have any questions, be sure to check our FAQ page. Otherwise, you can always email me at [email protected]
P.S. Did you know I wrote an eBook for my beloved Root + Revel readers? Superfood Green Smoothies was truly a labor of love, a project I created and launched in January 2017 because I felt like I couldn’t keep the healing, magical powers of green smoothies a secret any longer! You can also join the FREE 7-Day Challenge here.