Maple Roasted Root Veggies Recipe + Pumpkin Seeds
This post is sponsored by Health Warrior. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
This year, I’ve been all about cooking with the easy button. Fast. Simple. Efficient.
With it being my first year as a mom and head zookeeper at my house (two feisty kitties and one hyper Border Collie), plus taking my business to a new level and starting up my Six-Figure Blog Academy, it’s certainly a year that’s been full, hectic, rich, challenging, and rewarding, all tied together in a beautiful, messy bow.
So when I started thinking about holiday cooking this year, I knew I needed to come up with recipes that felt easy and not overwhelming, without sacrificing taste or seasonality.
That’s where the inspiration for this roasted root veggies recipe was born!
Is it just me or does this fall-colored rainbow make you super happy, too?!
While roasted root vegetables on their own are deliciously soft yet crispy, I wanted to take the flavor profile up a notch and decided to top it with aromatic blue cheese and crumbled Health Warrior Pumpkin Seed Bars. The contrast in this dish with the vegetables, crunchy and slightly sweet crumbled bars, and soft and salty blue cheese is out of this world, if I do say so myself!
Not familiar with Health Warrior?
They make superfood convenience foods like protein bars, protein powders, and mug muffins that are all gluten-, dairy-, GMO- and soy free, and many are organic too (like the Maple Sea Salt Pumpkin Seed Bars I used in this recipe).
I’m not a fan of overly sugary bars, which is why I love these bars so much–they are made predominantly with plant-based superfoods and low amounts of natural sugars. In fact, these bars only have six grams of sugar total, which is super low compared to almost all protein bars on the market (yes, even the ‘healthy’ ones!).
I chose the Maple Sea Salt flavor for this recipe (’cause obviously–maple is a key fall flavor!), but they also come in Honey Sea Salt (which would also be great in this recipe), Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Peanut, and Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond–wowza!
Check out this simple ingredient list: Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Maple Syrup, Organic Coconut Nectar, Organic Milled Quinoa, Organic Coconut Oil, Sea Salt. It doesn’t get much more ‘real food’ than that!
You can buy Health Warrior’s products direct through their website–where they have a ‘best price guarantee’ AND you can get 20% off your order with the code rootandrevel20, whoop!–and also on Amazon or at Thrive Market.
Roasted Root Veggies Recipe: How to Roast Root Vegetables
I love how this recipe is quick to prep, then you simply pop it in the oven and let the veggies work their magic.
This is not a hard and fast recipe; simply choose your favorite root vegetables. There are no wrong answers–promise. 😉
To get your wheels spinning, here’s a root vegetable list–any combo will work: potatoes, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, apples (I know apples aren’t a vegetable, but, they’d still work and would add some nice sweetness).
Then you’re simply going to chop them up in about equal size, toss with avocado oil, add the seasonings, and roast in the oven until ready. You only need to stir once. Talk about easy!
Another great thing about this roasted root veggies recipe? It’s vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, and super low in sugar–perfect for almost any diet preferences. (Vegan? Just leave off the cheese!).
Need more holiday recipe inspiration?
Check out our healthy holiday menu plan here with a FREE e-cookbook! It’s a collection of 31 real food recipes for the holidays, complete with festive breakfasts, smoothies, lattes, appetizers, sides, mains and desserts. Get your holiday menu totally taken care of so you can enjoy the season without sacrifice!
Looking for other festive side dishes? Here are some of our favorites!
- No-Bake Sweet + Savory Pumpkin Dip
- Christmas Party Purses (Gluten-Free Mushroom and Chicken Crepes)
- Instant Pot Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Dairy Free)
- The Creamiest Vegan Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free)
- Easy + Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans (Dairy Free, Gluten Free)
- Citrus Kale Salad with Maple Granola and Pancetta Vinaigrette
Maple Roasted Root Veggies Recipe + Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 cups diced winter vegetables (I recommend purple potatoes, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, apples, and/or beets)
- 1 large yellow onion cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper to taste
- 3 bars Health Warrior Maple Sea Salt Pumpkin Seeds Bars crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (I recommend a stinky blue cheese like Stilton)
- Preheat over to 400. On a large baking sheet, combine your choice of winter vegetables, onion, and garlic. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of avocado oil and season with thyme, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Roast veggie mixtures for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Crumble Health Warrior Maple Sea Salt Bars over the roasted veggies and top with 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese. Toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Note: nutrition information will vary depending on your specific combination of root vegetables. This is an approximation using potatoes, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and parsnips.
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.