Easy Rice Crispy Peppermint Patties Recipe
This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
It’s rice crispy treats. It’s peppermint patties. It’s… a rice crispy treat peppermint patty recipe!
That’s right–I combined the goodness of two of your favorite treats as a kid and made them into one easy, flavorful, crispy treat… because two classics are better than one. #nobrainer
Kids love ’em. Adults love ’em. Tweens love ’em. It’s definitely an all-around crowd-pleaser, and literally only takes five ingredients and 15 minutes. You have that, right?
How to Make Peppermint Patty Rice Crispy Treats
All the ingredients for this recipe came from my neighborhood Sprouts Farmers Market, one of my favorite places to shop for groceries and everyday household items.
Did you know 90% of the products they carry are natural or organic? For this recipe, I opted for organic whenever possible since Sprouts has its affordable in-house brand of so many organic products like dark chocolate chips and even the crispy rice cereal (I recommend Nature’s Path brand sold at Sprouts).
I was also really excited to find Dandies’ marshmallows, which are all-natural and have no high fructose corn syrup or gelatin (they’re 100% vegan!), plus are the first-ever marshmallow to be Non-GMO Project Verified.
Even though the prices are already more in line with mainstream grocery stores like Kroger, Albertson’s, Walmart and Target (did you know that at any given time, one-third of the store is on sale?), there are so many other ways to save like with their weekly and monthly deals, app with digital coupons, and other special promos.
Another way to save? Here’s an insider tip: shop their bulk section, where you can get nuts, beans, grains, coffee, spices, trail mixes, granola, dried fruits, and lots of delicious treats for way cheaper than the packaged stuff. Because you can buy exactly what you need, it helps reduce food and packaging waste, and the bulk bins are replenished often, so ingredients are always fresh.
Go to the store locator to find a location near you, and be sure to check the ads this week for what to look for in-store right now to save money. Don’t forget to also download the app for even more savings!
This recipe isn’t low carb. It isn’t paleo. It isn’t Whole30.
But it is delicious, reminiscent of my childhood, and is a great reminder of R+R’s motto ‘the balance between good and good for you’. And I did swap in organic and healthier ingredients when I could… but life is all about balance, and I ate these holiday treats with joy and not a shred of guilt. Life is too short for food stress!
Note for my vegan friends out there: this recipe is vegan-friendly, simply use vegan butter and vegan chocolate chips!
Need more holiday recipe inspiration?
Check out our healthy holiday menu plan here with a FREE e-cookbook! It’s a collection of 31 real food recipes for the holidays, complete with festive breakfasts, smoothies, lattes, appetizers, sides, mains and desserts. Get your holiday menu totally taken care of so you can enjoy the season without sacrifice!
Looking for other festive holiday treats like this rice crispy peppermint patties recipe? Here are some of our favorites!
Healthier Holiday Desserts:
- Classic Sour Cream Pound Cake with Ghee (Gluten Free)
- Healthy + Easy Eggnog (Sugar Free!)
- Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp (Gluten Free)
- Maple Cinnamon Fudgy Flourless Brownies
- Healthy Christmas Cookies: Shortbread with Ghee (Gluten Free + Refined Sugar Free)
- Pumpkin Pie Ketogenic Fat Bombs (Paleo)
Easy Rice Crispy Peppermint Patties
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Once melted add 15 ounces marshmallows (about 1.5 bags). Stir occasionally until the marshmallows have combined and formed a fluffy, sticky, mixture. Add peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from heat and add organic rice cereal (I recommend Nature's Path) and mix thoroughly with the marshmallow mixture. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in chocolate chips and 2 more cups of marshmallows (about .5 bag or 5 ounces). Stir to combine (note: the chocolate chips may melt a bit, which I think makes everything taste better and more chocolatey. But if you'd rather a more uniform look, you can wait to add the chocolate chips until the next step and just add to the top layer of the rice crispies).
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and add the rice crispy mixture to the pan. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to spread the mixture out into an even layer (this is the step where you'd add the chocolate chips to the top if you don't want them melted throughout the treat). Allow to cool until hardened, about 1-2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.