Packed full of warm spices, coconut milk, bone broth, and butternut squash, this wintery, creamy coconut curry butternut squash soup is healthy and delicious. With just 15 minutes of prep time required, why not make it immediately?
This post is sponsored by Thrive Market. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
Ever had butternut squash soup for breakfast?
Yeah, it's a bit weird for breakfast… but traveling has proven to me just how odd Americans are for eating specific foods only at breakfast time–cereal, eggs, pancakes–rather than just eating regular food for breakfast.
So this is my attempt at being a cool Asian gal who eats savory soup for breakfast.
Of course, there's nothing really Asian about this soup… except for the curry and coconut milk. But let me back up here.
What I want to give you first today before we get to the curry is the base recipe for the best butternut squash soup that is incredibly rich and decadent (without any dairy!), full of veggies (there's also carrots and sweet potatoes in this squash soup) and bursting with flavor. And, obviously, it's great for more meals than just breakfast.
In fact, having a big pot of veggie soup on hand at all times is one of the easiest ways to eat healthy (exhibit A: my favorite superfood veggie soup) and incorporate more vegetables into your diet. And this butternut squash soup is currently on my regular rotation, perfect in Winter and easily customizable depending on what kind of mood you're in:
- Want something super warming? Add cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Craving Thai food? Add red curry paste.
- In the mood for Indian? Add curry powder and turmeric.
- Want to make it more Italian? Swap in sage, pancetta and maybe garnish with a little truffle oil.
The options are endless, as long as you know the base recipe:
- Saute onions, garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil.
- Add butternut squash, carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Season with choice of spices, like above.
- Add coconut milk and bone broth. Simmer.
- Blend (this immersion blender is one of my most used kitchen tools). Enjoy!!!
More good news: not only is this Creamy Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup dairy-free, gluten-free and DELICIOUS, but it's also incredibly high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C and nourishing minerals from the bone broth. To make it vegan, you could use vegetable broth instead of bone broth, but I think the health benefits of bone broth make it well worth it!
Where to Buy Soup Ingredients
I love shopping online for groceries–who doesn't?! One of my favorite places to shop online is Thrive Market, an online retailer selling healthy foods at wholesale prices.
I’ve been shopping here for years! If you compare the prices at Thrive to mainstream grocery stores and retailers, Amazon and even Instacart and I’ve found that overall, most items are several dollars less at Thrive (especially on their in-house Thrive Market line of products, of which there are hundreds!).
There is an annual membership fee–think of Thrive like a healthy, digital Costco membership–but after a couple of orders, you’ll likely have out-saved the cost of the membership. They make it easy to shop, especially if you have preferences like wanting all organic, or vegan, gluten-free, paleo, etc. since you can shop by category.
Plus, right now they’re offering 25% off your first order and a free gift when you join Thrive Market!, so you’re making up some of the price of the membership immediately with your first order.
You’ll also get free shipping over $49+ orders.
Here’s what I used from Thrive Market in this recipe:
- extra virgin olive oil
- organic red pepper flakes
- organic ground ginger
- organic ground cinnamon
- organic ground curry powder
- organic ground turmeric
- organic unsweetened coconut milk
- bone broth (or make your own with this recipe)
As you can see, I love Thrive Market's organic spices! I don't think you can find good quality, organic spices any cheaper than $2.99–so definitely stock up on all your pantry staples at Thrive Market!
More Winter Soup Recipes
- Easy, Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Low Carb Keto Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
- Easy + Healthy Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes
Creamy Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- blender (immersion or regular)
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic ground curry powder
- 1 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
- 7 organic carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 (16-ounce) bags frozen butternut squash
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can organic, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large dutch oven, saute onion in olive oil until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes, ginger, cinnamon and curry powder, toss to combine and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, squash and sweet potatoes, tossing to combine. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk and chicken broth over veggies and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and blend soup using an immersion blender. If you don't have one, you can blend the soup in batches in a traditional blender. Serve and enjoy!