You guys, we sold our house!!!
Ohmigod, I am still in shock. Every few hours I find myself saying out loud, to no one in particular, “Whoa, we sold our house. Wow, Oh my god, holy cow, hot damn!!” It feels so surreal.
Especially because I'm not home**. This post is coming to you all the way from Cape Cod, where I'm visiting my family, an annual trip that I've been taking for nearly 30 years.
The Cape is my happy place–I always feel immediately at peace every time I start the drive into Chatham, the subtle ocean scent tickling my nose, the charming cottages straight out of a magazine beckoning me to relax, and the seafood.
Ohhhhhh, the seafood. People always ask me what I'll do when I get to Chatham and my itinerary always reads more like a checklist of things to eat.
**Note to self: Always put your house on the market while you're on vacation. Not having to deal with showing it, cleaning up 24/7, worrying about where my cats are (they've checked into Hotel My Parents while we're away), etc. was beyond amazing! As was getting good news when I'm already in celebration mode.
One night, we'll pick up fresh lobsters from the fish market and feast at home. Likely after we binge on steamers. A lobster roll always makes a few appearances, as do plenty of Wellfleet oysters on the half shell.
And let's be honest, a few more platters of fried seafood. Which brings me to today's recipe: a green detox smoothie, exactly what I'll need after 10 days of gorging on crispy, crunchy, deep-fried clam bellies. #worthit
The Elements of a Green Detox Smoothie
Made with plenty of fresh citrus and herbs, this green detox smoothie is incredibly refreshing and will cleanse your liver like nobody's business. Think about it:
- Herbs: Cilantro is a powerful, natural cleansing agent, particularly when it comes to removing toxic metals, like mercury. Its strong antioxidant properties have also been proven to prevent cancer, diabetes, reduce stress, improve sleep quality, lower blood sugar and reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Cilantro is my favorite herb to use in green smoothies, but you could also try parsley, basil, mint or whatever your herb-loving heart desires.
- Ginger: Not only does fresh ginger add a zesty kick to this green detox smoothie, the spicy root also relieves digestive problems, from nausea and loss of appetite to the elimination of intestinal gas. Ginger also contains potent anti-inflammatory compounds and may also inhibit the growth of colorectal cancer and ovarian cancer cells. And if all that weren't enough, ginger also is an amazing detoxifier, as it promotes healthy sweating and boosts immunity. #micdrop
- Citrus: To add some refreshing tang to this green detox smoothie, I add fresh-squeezed lemon juice, which is bursting with Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and copper AND helps with digestion (especially constipation), strengthens your immune system, cleanses your stomach, and purifies your blood. The natural antiseptic is also great for your teeth, hair and skin, reducing acne, eczema and wrinkles, and lemon juice has been proven to aid in weightloss. Talk about a cleansing powerhouse. If you don't have any lemons on hand, you could use lime, orange or grapefruit, too!
- Coconut Water: Though our bodies have an amazing natural ability to cleanse and detox on their own, this really only happens when we're properly hydrated. While plain old water would work great in this recipe too, you can really up your hydration game with electrolyte-heavy coconut water, which is chockfull of potassium and is ultra hydrating, helping our liver and kidneys cleanse our bodies of toxins and excess sodium.
Throw in some tropical fruit to sweeten things up a bit (I love using frozen fruit in my smoothies instead of watering them down with ice) and chia seeds for some anti-inflammatory fats and gut-friendly fiber and you've got one delicious green detox smoothie that will cure what ails ya.
I swear, if you make this smoothie the morning after, you'll feel like a new person! And if you really want to up the cleansing ante, add a teaspoon of spirulina or wheatgrass to this gem.
As for me, I'm off to another lobster roll bender. Cheers!
Green Detox Smoothie
- 1 teaspoon organic wheatgrass powder
- Combine all ingredients into a large, high-powered blender (I recommend Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!