As promised, I'm sharing four delicious and healthy blueberry recipes this week in partnership with the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council's Goodness Frozen campaign. Next up: Blueberry and Bacon Zucchini Muffins… yes you heard that right. I said bacon!
When I set out to create this recipe, I wanted to do something different than your average blueberry muffin. First, I knew I would make it gluten-free, since I try to minimize my gluten intake as part of the anti-inflammatory diet I follow.
But I wanted to take it a step further, to really up the ante. So I started thinking about breakfast and of course my mind immediately went to bacon. Yes! How insanely delicious would it be to add crispy, savory bacon to these blueberry muffins? Sweet and savory really is the best combo.
Aaaaaaaand then, because I just can't leave well enough alone, I thought I'd up the nutrition ante one more time add sneak some shredded zucchini into these muffins, because why the heck not, ya know?
I'm all about getting the most nutrients in my meals as possible and the beauty of blueberry muffins (or just muffins in general) is that you can fill them to the brim with fresh fruits and vegetables and they always taste delicious.
Especially when you get a little bit of that salty bacon in your bite. Oohhhh. Myyyyy. God. So good I can hardly stand it.
Do you want to get free bacon? (Yes, for real!)
If you follow R+R, you know by now that I'm a huge ButcherBox fan. What's not to love about getting healthy, sustainable cuts of meat delivered right to your door? I'm all about saving time, and with ButcherBox, you don't have to sacrifice quality for convenience. Want to try it yourself? Get $20 off plus FREE heritage-breed, uncured, sugar- and nitrate-free bacon in your first box!
If you’d prefer to skip the monthly subscription and shop a la carte, U.S. Wellness Meats is a great alternative to ButcherBox. This online purveyor sells grass-fed beef, lamb and bison, free-range poultry, wild-caught seafood, raw honey and more, all from small, family farms. Get 10% off your order with the code ROOT10.
In order to make these muffins gluten-free, I rely on coconut flour and flax seed. But a note of caution, coconut flour is incredibly dense and a little bit goes a very long way.
I once made the mistake of using it as a 1:1 substitution for all-purpose flour and wound up with a giant sticky clump of flour in my mixing bowl that had to be promptly thrown out.
The flax seed adds some bulk to these muffins, and some digestion-friendly fiber that we can all use in the morning, amiright?
These muffins are also full of protein, vitamin B6, magnesium and folic acid, so eat up!
Blueberry + Bacon Zucchini Muffins
- 4 slices organic, pastured bacon (thick-cut)
- 2 organic zucchini
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 organic, pastured eggs
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 cup frozen organic blueberries
- Dice the bacon and brown over medium-high until crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F. Shred zucchini with a food processor (can use a handheld grater if needed). Pour shredded zucchini onto paper towels and squeeze out excess moisture over the sink. Add to a large glass bowl.
- Add bananas to food processor and pulse until mashed. Add to the bowl with zucchini. Add the next six ingredients (eggs through sea salt) and stir together with a silicone spatula.
- In a small glass bowl, combine dry ingredients (baking soda, coconut flour and flax seed) and mix to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Add reserved bacon and blueberries, stirring to combine. Pour muffin mixture evenly into a muffin pan fitted with muffin liners.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until just golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Serve and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.