In just 5 minutes, you can create a healthy, delicious snack full of nutrients. Coconut oil sriracha popcorn with nori is salty and spicy with lots of umami. SO good and good for you!
Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks–it's crunchy and craveable, can be made sweet or savory and it's so much lighter than greasy potato chips. And better for you!
Of course, that's only true if you ditch the cancer-causing microwave popcorn bags and make your own instead.
The not-so-dirty little secret: homemade popcorn is literally as easy to make as the microwavable alternatives, plus it's way more delicious AND you get rid of the toxic bags lined with PFOA (which causes infertility and is a known carcinogen) and the other bad-for-you ingredients, like hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors and unwanted sodium.
RELATED: HOW TO STOCK A REAL FOOD FRIDGE
One of my favorite ways to make popcorn is with a spicy Asian twist that's chockfull of fiber, protein and nutrients and that incredible umami flavor thanks to nutritional yeast and seaweed. Trust me–I know it might sound a little out there, but if you like sushi, you'll love this popcorn. Check it out:
- Nutritional yeast has a nutty, cheesy flavor and is a significant source of B vitamins
- Seaweed (an edible sea vegetable also called nori) is one of the world's most powerful superfoods–the vegetarian ingredient provides tons of amino acids, calcium, fiber, and vitamins, is a natural source of iodine (great for people with thyroid issues). AND it's anti-inflammatory, boosts immunity, helps with healing, detox and weight loss and its remineralization properties even help curb cravings.
- Plus, this popcorn is made with coconut oil, another superfood known for its good-for-you fat content (this form of saturated fat, called MCTs, is proven to boost energy and actually helps you burn more fat and improve brain function)–clearly the frontrunner in oils when compared to the fake “butter” most popcorn companies use. Just make sure pick an organic, extra-virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil like Nutiva for maximum health benefits.
- Though sriracha may not have superfood status yet, the flavor boost the popcorn gets from this spicy addition is worth it. Plus, chile peppers are known to boost metabolism, enhance mood and memory, and garlic lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Flavor and function: bingo!
The final key ingredient of popcorn is, of course, the corn kernels themselves. As corn is one of the most genetically modified foods in America, I thought it was super important to look for a non-GMO popcorn source.
As it turns out, there is no such thing as GMO popcorn currently (popcorn is different from field corn), but there is such a thing as companies using other GMO ingredients in their packaged popcorn.
So I am a huge fan of Tiny But Mighty Heirloom popcorn, which is 100 percentwhole grain, non-GMO, naturally gluten-free and certified kosher as the only ingredient is the kernels themselves. I also like that the kernels are a bit smaller, too, as they get stuck in your teeth less and are easier to digest.
Get the recipe and nutrition info for this mind-blowingly delicious, addictive and nutritious coconut oil sriracha popcorn below:
5 Minute Coconut Oil Sriracha Popcorn with Nori
- In a large stockpot over high heat, add the coconut oil.
- Once the oil has melted, add the popcorn kernels and shake the pot to evenly distribute. Cover the pot and allow the kernels to pop, shaking every 30 seconds or so to ensure the kernels pop evenly and prevent burning.
- Once the kernels have popped (hint: listen for the pops to slow down until almost stopped), remove the pot from heat and uncover.
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast, sriracha and nori crumbles over the popcorn and toss with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust.