Learn how to promote vision longevity and protect your eyes from both natural and environmental stressors with this roundup of the best eye health supplements!
This post is sponsored by Ridgecrest Herbals. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
Wondering what you can do to protect your eyes and vision?
As we grow older, it's normal to develop age-related conditions that may cause deterioration in our vision. There are also environmental factors that negatively impact our eye health:
- consistent exposure to UV and blue light from screens
- eyedrops that could decrease blood flow to the capillaries in the eyes
- certain chemicals (such as chlorine in a pool)
- poor lighting while reading
- smoking, which damages blood vessels in the eyes and can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, and other sight problems
- environments with dusty or dirty air
- poor nutrition
Still, there are preventative measures we can take to support the longevity of our vision and overall health of our eyes, like wearing sunglasses that protect from UV light, wearing blue light-blocking glasses, keeping our air clean inside our home, and taking supplements.
Here are the best eye health supplements–let's dive in!
The Best Eye Health Supplements
Ridgecrest Herbals' EssentialEyes™
Ridgecrest Herbals' EssentialEyes™ is a complex formula that provides full-spectrum support for overall eye wellness and helps sustain healthy eyes among the flood of negative effects of blue light damage rampant from modern technology. The ingredients in EssentialEyes™ have been shown to:
- Supports eyes exposed to electronics & blue light
- Protects healthy macular and retinal function
- Promotes healthy low-light vision
- Increases nutrients essential to macular health
Ridgecrest Herbals' award-winning EssentialEyes provides full-spectrum eye support and addresses the need to strengthen the circulatory system and related organs while providing essential nutrients for eye health.
Their unique herbal combination uses:
- An ancient Chinese formula dating back 220 A.D.
- Maculink Vision Complex for herbal antioxidant and visual support
- Lutemax 20/20 (an OmniActive Health technologies patented ingredients), which contains the essential daily amounts of lutein, zeaxanthin, and meso-zeaxanthin needed to help the body do its best to replenish critical carotenoids that are the building blocks for healthy macular pigment support
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are carotenoids, which are pigments found in plants and in your retina. Supplementing these pigments helps increase their density in your retina. They also absorb high-energy blue and ultraviolet light that can damage your eyes.
In one of the big Age-Related Eye Disease Studies (AREDS2), lutein and zeaxanthin supplements were seen to reduce the need for cataract surgery by 32 percent in people who initially had low dietary levels of these carotenoids. (source)
B Vitamins are essential for the health of your eyes. How?
- Vitamin B1 may be an effective for treating uveitis, an inflammatory eye condition that can lead to blindness. (source)
- A 2009 study suggests that daily supplementation with a combination of vitamins B-6, B-9, and B-12 may reduce the risk of AMD (a degenerative eye disease that affects the vision).
- A 2018 nationwide study in South Korea found a link between a reduced intake of vitamin B-3, or niacin, and glaucoma (where a buildup of fluid within the eye puts pressure on the optic nerve, and over time, this can damage the nerve, resulting in vision loss).
B-vitamins are also key for mood, energy level, sex drive, and fertility. To take things up a notch and combine essential B-vitamins with adaptogens, try Ridgecrest Herbals’ Anxiety Free supplement to support your body’s natural ability to create feelings of peace, calm, and overall ‘zen’-iness.
In addition to B-vitamins, their Anxiety Free Stress Relief Complex contains:
- Ashwagandha, an Ayurvedic adaptogenic herb which may support a number of bodily systems, and often used to promote calm and help promote a healthy immune system
- L-Theanine, an amino acid found in green tea, that may promote relaxation and help relieve stress
- Lavender Herb, well-known for its gentle, lovely scent and ability to promote relaxation
- Passion Flower Herb, which may promote well-being, relaxation, and sleep
Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in Omega-3 fish oils support heart, brain, eye, and immune health, and may also help support a healthy mood.
Photoreceptors cells in your retina contain a large quantity of omega-3 fatty acid. It’s believed that docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a type of omega-3 fatty acid, helps in the development of retinal cells. It’s also thought to have a role in reducing inflammation and helping cells of the retina and the cornea heal and regenerate after damage due to light exposure and aging.
Nordic Naturals’ Ultimate Omega is formulated from sustainable, wild-caught fish in a form that’s optimal for absorption (and with its lemon flavor, won’t leave you with icky fish burps).
Several large studies show that vitamin C reduces the risk of getting some types of cataracts. Two of these studies also found that a combination of vitamins C and E supplements reduced risk for cataracts and slowed the progression of cataracts.
My favorite brand of Vitamin C is Truvani's Organic Immuno-C made from the amla berry, which contains up to 20 times more Vitamin C than oranges! Truvani's products are also vegan, tested for heavy metals and other contaminants, and made from real food without synthetic ingredients.
And there you have it–the best eye health supplements! What are your favorites? Leave a comment below and let us know!