Looking for Natural Baby Products? This Non-Toxic Baby Registry Checklist is chockfull of ideas and tips for the best eco-friendly, organic baby products, from cribs and nursery furniture to skincare and bath products to strollers, car seats, and bottles. All the must haves for new moms so you’ll have everything you need, all the essentials, plus peace of mind knowing your baby is safe!
If you’re like me, once you get past the shock, overwhelm and fatigue, you’ll likely start getting exciting about shopping for baby.
Those nesting instincts are no joke, and building a baby registry is one of the most fun parts of being pregnant (let’s be honest, we gotta take it where we can!).
But baby registries can also be totally mind-boggling.
Do you really need a wipe warmer? How do you know which stroller is actually the best? Should you buy used to save money, or splurge on the safest carseat known to man? How many onesies do you really need?
And that’s all before you consider health quality. What I mean by that is not all baby products are created equal and there are tons of toxic chemicals, eco-un-friendly plastics, and dangerous substances lurking in nearly all mainstream baby products, from diapers and shampoo to bottles and footie jammies, cribs and gliders, strollers to car seats. (source)
It’s pretty disgusting actually that the baby industry would stoop this low just to make a few bucks.
But fear not! I’ve taken the overwhelm out of the equation for you and rounded up the safest, least toxic, most eco-friendly, green, organic and natural baby products on the market to help you build the ultimate Non-Toxic Baby Registry Checklist.
TABLE OF CONTENTS: Natural Baby Products by Category
Check it out:
How to Create a Non-Toxic Baby Registry
This post is a product guide, so I’m not going to spend a ton of time on the how. For more details on how to create the best baby registry, check out this post.
Hint: I recommend Babylist, a universal registry perfect for natural mamas.
Non-Toxic Baby Registry Checklist
Below is a WAY comprehensive list of the best natural baby products on the market.
It’s probably way more than you ever wanted to know, but there is GOOD reason to take the time to understand what your baby gear is made from and with and how it will affect your pride and joy.
Did you know that most conventional strollers and car seats contain flame retardants and/or may be made with toxic plastics that contain harmful chemicals like BPA, PVC, phthalates, Lead, Teflon, ScotchGuard and more?
Why is this so bad? Well for starters, these chemicals have been linked to increased risks for thyroid impairment, reproductive problems, endocrine disruption, cancer and other health issues (source).
And babies are especially susceptible to their negative effects, what with their underdeveloped immune systems, metabolisms, and tendency to put everything in their mouths.
Not to mention, babies have greater contact with these products is they’re sitting in them for hours at a time.
So what’s a natural mama to do? Go for these non-toxic options instead!
- UPPAbaby VISTA Stroller: This is the Mac Daddy of all strollers, beloved by natural and conventional mamas alike. I love it because it’s one of the only strollers on the market that doesn’t contain flame retardants and it’s OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified. Plus, it’s super lightweight, and easy to collapse and change car seats, bassinets and rumble seats out with just the click of a button. So this is the stroller we use when we’re traveling, driving around town and generally on the road. Plus, it’s so pretty–check out those leather handles–we went with the Henry color. The CRUZis their smaller stroller and makes for a great option for families with just one child. Buy it at Saks, BuyBuyBaby, Nordstrom or Amazon.
- Bumbleride Indie Stroller: If ever there was an eco-friendly, sustainable stroller, it was the Bumbleride. Made from 100% recycled PET, Bumbleride has kept over half a million water bottles out of landfills since 2011. To color their fabrics, they also use an innovative solution-dye process that conserves approximately 25-40 gallons of water per stroller. And if that weren’t enough, their strollers are PVC & phthalate free, made without fire retardants or polyurethane foam, and their fabrics are Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Class I certified to be free from harmful chemicals. Plus, the Indie has air-filled tires and a UPF 45+ canopy. We got this stroller to use around our neighborhood (more like a jogging stroller) as it’s a bit more heavy-duty than the UPPAbaby, but a super smooth ride nonetheless. Buy it at The Tot, Stroller Depot or Amazon.
- UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat: Easily the safest carseat on the market, this NHSTA 5-star beauty from UPPAbaby is naturally fire resistant (i.e. made without toxic chemical flame retardants) as it’s made from merino wool. This is not only less toxic for your baby, but it’s also soft, breathable and moisture-wicking to keep baby cool and comfy. Super easy to install (gotta love that light indicator button and self-retracting LATCH connectors!), there’s also an adjustable headrest (amazing for Side Impact Protection), a no-rethread, ﬁve-point harness, an included infant insert (for babies between 4-8 pounds), a canopy with UPF 25+, and was by far the lightest car seat we tested at the store. I love that it clicks in and out of the VISTA stroller so easily, too (one-handed release and no adapters needed)! We went with the Henry blue color and it’s so adorable! Buy it at Nordstrom, BuyBuyBaby or Amazon.
- LILLEbaby’s COMPLETE Organic Carrier: Wearing your baby is all the rage these days, so I was psyched when I found this organic carrier, which provides amazing lumbar support with six ergonomic ways to carry, easily transforming as your baby grows. Made from 100% organic cotton, LILLEbaby doesn’t use any flame retardants, and they still meet the highest flammability standards. Adjustable side panels provide comfortable hip positioning, while the extendable back panel gives extra head, neck and back support and prevents baby from hanging. The shoulder straps are super padded and the extra wide waistband evenly distributes baby’s weight. The removable sleeping hood with dual adjustment provides support for baby’s head while sleeping, and sun protection and privacy while nursing, too! They also make an awesome Ring Sling and All Seasons Carrier if those are more your speed.
- 7 AM Blanket 212 evolution: Since baby K will be born in the Fall, I’m already thinking about how we’re going to keep him warm on walks as temps drop. This stroller cover (it fits any stroller!) has a water-repellent outer shell, poly insulation, and a super soft micro-fleece lining, making it warm, weatherproof, and durable. Bonus: it easily converts from a wearable garment to a large blanket, and is machine washable and dryable. How cozy?!
Just like with baby strollers and car seats, baby furniture can also be extremely toxic.
Any furniture made with pressed wood, plywood, particleboard, and/or chipboard, is often glued together with formaldehyde-based glues or resins.
Likewise, wood finishes and paints can emit VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and/or contain heavy metals. Not exactly what you want filling your baby’s nursery, right?! Try these non-toxic options instead!
- Babyletto Scoot 3-in-1 Convertible Crib: I was so excited when I came across Babyletto ‘s eco-friendly furniture! Not only is it incredibly affordable and super cute and modern, but their cribs are made with sustainable pine, and don’t contain harmful substances like lead and phthalate finishes. They’re also GREENGUARD Gold Certified, which means it has been screened for 360 VOCs and over 10,000 chemicals. Bonus: it easily converts to transform the crib into a daybed or toddler bed. Buy it at Hayneedle, 2Modern, Project Nursery, BuyBuyBaby, Target or Amazon.
- Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress: You might remember our epic organic mattress guide from earlier this year…well, baby mattresses are no different. Check out how great this one is: it’s made with organic cotton fabric with easy-to-clean, stain resistant polyethylene waterproof surface. It’s filled with U.S. grown and certified organic cotton and a heavy-duty 252 coil innerspring plus strong 9 gauge edge support (read: super comfy!). There’s a Built-in Dust Mite/Bed Bug Barrier. It’s not made with allergens like latex or soy, or toxic chemicals like polyurethane foam, vinyl and formaldehyde. It’s GREENGUARD Gold Certified, GOTS Certified, MADE SAFE certified and certified by the Rainforest Alliance Forest Stewardship Council, and it’s made in the US by a family-owned company. And it passes all flammability standards without the use of any fire retardant chemicals or chemical flame barriers. We went with the 2 in 1 Organic Cotton Ultra Quilted Mattress because it can grow with our little guy. The waterproof side is perfect for the diaper years, while the quilted side will give him a more luxe, cushy sleep when he gets older. Buy it direct from Naturepedic, or at Nordstrom, BuyBuyBaby or Amazon. I also recommend their Waterproof Crib Mattress cover for extra protection.
- Babyletto Kiwi Glider & Electronic Recliner: It’s a glider, it’s a rocker, it’s got a built-in USB port, it’s chic and stylish, it reclines with a quiet electronic control panel, and it is easily the most comfortable glider I’ve ever sat in. And I didn’t even mention how safe and natural it is, yet! Not only is the water and stain-resistant upholstery free of chemical flame retardants, but the foam is free from Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) and the chair itself free of Formaldehyde, Lead Phthalatesates. Buy it at Hayneedle, 2Modern, Project Nursery, BuyBuyBaby, Target or Amazon.
- Hatch Baby Rest + Grow: Prefer a wipeable changing pad? How about one that’s also a smart scale to help track your baby’s weight gain, feeding amounts, and diaper changes. How cool is that?! I’m also registered for their night light and sound machine, which has a Time-to-Rise indicator, you can control and program from your phone, and customize bedtime for your family. A good night’s sleep doesn’t sound that far fetched, does it?! Buy it at BuyBuyBaby, Target or Amazon.
- Project Nursery 5″ HD Dual Connect Wi-Fi Baby Monitor System: I really debated about what kind of baby monitor I wanted. At first, I thought maybe the Philips AVENT because of the lower levels of radiation emitted. But ultimately, I knew that our home was already super smart and that I’d ideally want to be able to check in on baby boy from my phone while I’m away and with a crystal-clear HD monitor when I’m home. Project Nursery’s monitor was the perfect fit–you can even record and take snapshots, multiple people can view from different locations, and the rechargeable 5” touchscreen handheld monitor has a battery life of up to 8 hours. Likewise the rechargeable Wi-Fi camera offers remote pan/tilt/zoom HD 720P with a battery life of up to 2 hours, and there’s a temperature sensor that sends push notifications for sound, motion and temperature alerts. Two-way communication, infrared night vision and lullabies, white noise and natural sounds, too! Buy it at Project Nursery.
- Selenite Crystal Lamp: I used to feel like the whole crystal thing was a bit too voodoo for me if I’m being honest, but the more I learn about their incredible health benefits, the more I can’t ignore how powerful crystals really can be. When I found this Selenite Crystal Lamp, I knew my baby needed it in his nursery. Made from Moroccan selenite, not only will this beautiful lamp give a soothing glow to the nursery, but the crystals are known for their healing and cleansing effects, getting rid of both negative energy and free radicals. Selenite also instills deep peace (i.e. sleep soundly baby boy!). Even better? It’s known as an excellent crystal for breastfeeding and nurturing a child. Buy it at Urban Outfitters, or go for a Himalayan Salt Lamp, which helps reduce pollution in the air and neutralize the effects of electronics. Or both!
Did you know that plastic bottles made of polycarbonate (plastic #7; a clear, hard plastic) may contain bisphenol A (BPA), which can leach into formula and breast milk?
Even if you go for BPA-free plastics, studies have found they can still have significant amounts of estrogenic activity. Note: Most brands clearly label their products as “BPA-free” on the label, so if you don’t see it, it’s probably not BPA-free.
Avoid latex rubber nipples, which can cause allergic reactions and may also contain phthalates.
- Nook Organic Niche Nursing Pillow: I know, the Boppy is everyone’s favorite. BUT, turns out there’s an even better and much safer option out there. That’s why I went with the Nook Niche pillow, which doesn’t use PVC/vinyl as a waterproofing layer; rather this organic pillow is made with a 100% organic cotton cover and 100% organic kapok fill. The Niche fits around your waist while you’re breast- or bottle-feeding, and it’s incredibly soft, cozy and supportive. Machine washable, too. Buy it at Nordstrom, The Tot, Jet or Amazon.
- Spectra S1PLUS breast pump. Since I work from home, I’m not sure how much pumping I’ll be doing, but I know that I’d like Matt to help with feedings, and once we start daycare, I’ll need to send bottles with our little guy. I went with the Spectra pump since it’s hospital-grade, rechargable, super portable (it only weighs 3 pounds!), with powerful, yet quiet suction and technology that eliminates back-flow (protecting your breastmilk from harmful bacteria). I love the digital controls, which you can program to the speed and rhythm that best suits you, use the nightlight if needed and even add massage to simulate the natural suckling of a baby. Buy it at BuyBuyBaby or on Amazon.
- Comotomo BPA-Free Silicone Bottles: I love how this design mimics natural breastfeeding to make the nursing to bottle feeding transition easier on baby, as these bottles are skin-like, soft and squeezable. It also has a wide-neck design for easy cleaning and is microwave-, dishwasher- and boiling water-safe, plus is made from 100% safe materials (BPA-, PVC- and phthalate-free). I also like Boon’s Nursh bottles.
- Boon GRASS Drying Rack: Gotta have somewhere to store and clean all those baby bottles, right? What’s cuter than this grass-like countertop drying rack? BPA free, Phthalate free and PVC free, it’s low-profile and yet holds tons of bottles in all shapes and sizes. Plus it’s got an easy-to-clean design. Add the Poke to get more space for drying larger items.
- Baby Brezza One-Step Sterilizer Dryer: Speaking of baby bottles, how exactly am I going to find time to handwash all of these in between the diaper changes and feeds and just cuddling with my little man? Enter this one-step system: two-in-one machine uses natural steam to kill 99.9 percent of the germs in your baby’s bottles, in just eight minutes, then automatically dries the leftover condensation in your choice of a 30, 45 or 60-minute drying cycle. The bottles remain sterile for up to 24 hours, or until the lid is open. You can also use it just to sterilize or just to dry if needed. Score! Buy it at Jet or on Amazon.
- Milk Snob Cover: No matter how natural it may be, I just can’t see myself comfortably breastfeeding in public without a cover. These modern multi-use covers aren’t just for nursing–they can fit on any infant car seat, shopping cart, highchair, infant swings and more! Made out of super soft, lightweight and breathable natural-based rayon blend fabric, these covers have passed US safety testing for flammability, lead content, and phthalates, and they’re made in the U.S.A. Buy it at Anthropologie, Project Nursery or Zulily.
- Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Starter Kit: I have mixed feelings about what breastfeeding will be like once baby comes, but this starter kit makes me feel just a little better about it all. Leak-proof, affordable and convenient pouches allow you to collect, store, prepare and feed using a single pouch (read: no messy transfer of milk) with the included Direct-Pump adapters, which twist-lock onto pumps from ALL major brands. The bag holder makes organization and storage easy and space-efficient, while the Active Latch nipple teaches and rewards natural latching by requiring suction AND massaging of the nipple, ultimately easing the transition between bottle and breast. Buy it on Amazon or at Target.
- Inglesina Fast Table Chair: We won’t need this for quite a while, but I’m glad we’re already prepared with this super convenient high chair. Whether we’re at home, traveling or at a restaurant, we can just snap this lightweight chair onto any table so baby boy can join us for dinner. Ultra-light, collapsible and easy to carry, I have a feeling this is going to be one of our best buys yet. Buy it at BuyBuyBaby, Pottery Barn Kids, Target, Amazon or direct on their website.
- STOKKE ‘Tripp Trapp’ Chair: For a more standard high chair to be used at home, we’re going with the Stokke–I love its Classic Scandinavian design and the fact that it’s made from solid European beech wood (not plastic). Its intelligent design grows with your child, providing a comfortable, ergonomic seat at any age, so I know we’ll have it for years to come. Buy it at Bloomingdale’s, Dillards, Wayfair, BuyBuyBaby or Amazon.
- Baby Brezza One-Step Baby Food Maker Deluxe: Like any good food writer, I dream of having the most adventurous eater baby in the world–I want my kid to be the one who asks for more veggies, doesn’t blink an eye about eating sushi and has never even tried animal crackers or goldfih. A girl can dream and I know it may not be exactly like that, but making my own baby food is step one to achieving that dream. To take the hassle out of creating delicious, wholesome purees, I went with this appliance that automatically blends food after steaming! Yep, this one little device does it all, and in a glass bowl to minimize food’s contact with plastic. Buy it at Jet or on Amazon.
- Avanchy Silicone Dishes + Spoons: While we’re on the subject of solid food, I was so stoked to find these no-slip dishes and infant spoons. Made from lightweight, organic, biodegradable bamboo (which is naturally anti-bacterial, water-resistant and does not absorb odors), these plates and bowls have an airtight-lock mechanism that sticks onto hard surfaces so baby can’t throw everything all over the house (genius!!). The spoons are also made from bamboo and the tip is made from soft silicone, just like the suction cups. All Avanchy products are earth-friendly, made from non-toxic, BPA, PVC, Lead, and Phthalate free. Buy at Jet, Houzz, Walmart or on Amazon.I also like BEABA’s baby feeding products for non-plastic options.
- green sprouts Fresh Baby Food Storage: Once I’ve made all this delicious baby food, I’ll need a place to store it cause you know mama is gonna batch cook! I love these Food Cubes, which are made from durable, temperature- & shatter-resistant tempered glass (not plastic!), which doesn’t absorb tastes or odors, or leach chemicals into food when heated. All the lids and trays are interchangeable and stackable, and take up less room while storing in the freezer, while the multiple color options help keep foods organized. I also got these Freezer Trays, which are made from petroleum-free, durable, unbreakable, and heat-resistant silicone (BPA-free!) and are a convenient to store a variety of foods in individual portions that are just the right size. Dishwasher safe, too. Win! Plus, get 30% off your first order from green sprouts + i play. baby with the code RootAndRevel!
- WeeSprout Waterproof Silicone Baby Bibs: These bibs are BPA, PVC, lead, and phthalate free, as they’re made from recyclable silicone, not plastic. Even better: they’re easily adjusted to the baby’s neck and the large, stay-open pocket remains in place but absorbs neither food nor water (read: cleanup is a breeze!). No more food stains, no more incessantly washing burp cloths and bibs, no more mess! I also love their Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouches, great for on-the-go baby food.
- Attitude Baby Bottle and Dishwashing Liquid Fragrance Free Of course you’ve got to have dish soap to get all these bottles, dishes and food storage containers clean. I recommend Attitude, which is Ecologo and MADE SAFE certified, fragrance-free, and vegan (not tested on animals either!).
I know, just when you think changing dirty diapers can’t get any worse you learn that the diapers themselves could actually be harming your baby, not to mention the planet.
I wanted to do cloth diapers, I really did, but at the end of the day I just had to accept it wasn’t realistic for my lifestyle. But that didn’t mean I could just use any old diapers.
Did you know that the wood pulp in the absorbent core in conventional diapers is bleached with elemental chlorine, which produces toxic dioxins, also known as cancer-causing chemicals?
Also in that absorbent core: remnants of TBT (tributyltin), an industrial biocide used as an antifungal agent in wood pulp mills.
Other additives to watch out for include synthetic toxic, dyes, and allergy-causing lotions.
- Eco-Friendly Disposable Diapers: I’m going to start this one with a disclaimer that I’ll need to report back on the best options after baby is here and I’ve put these into practice more times than I can possibly imagine right now. But for now, after doing my homework on what to look for (i.e. TK), I’ve decided to go with Andy Pandy and Earth’s Best. Naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial, Andy Pandy diapers are made with eco-friendly bamboo (it’s biodegradable and grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides), and without chlorine, preservatives, phthalates, latex, PVC, TBT. Meanwhile Earth’s Best diapers are chlorine free, latex free, dye free and fragrance free, and and made with renewable resources like corn and wheat.
- Ubbi Steel Odor Locking Diaper Pail: Now what the heck are you supposed to do with all those dirty diapers? Everyone I talked to suggested this pail, which is made of powder-coated steel to achieve maximum door control. It works with any standard trash bag or reusable cloth liner, making it easy to load, use, empty and clean. Plus it’s sleek looking–we went with the gold and it goes perfectly in our nursery! Buy it at The Tot, BuyBuyBaby or on Amazon.
- Naturepedic Organic Changing Pad: There are so many different changing pad options but Naturepedic’s really stood out to me. Made with organic cotton fabric with a clear polyethylene food-grade waterproof coating, it’s non-allergenic and easy-to-clean. Plus you can safely buckle baby in while changing and snap screws are included to secure the pad to a dresser while at home. NO Vinyl, PVC, Phthalates, Polyurethane Foam, Latex or Soy (for allergy concerns), or Flame Retardant Chemicals or Barriers. Buy it direct at Naturepedic, at BuyBuyBaby or on Amazon.
- WaterWipes Sensitive Baby Wipes: Most conventional baby wipes (i.e. Pampers, Huggies, Luvs and even some green-sounding brands) contain harmful preservatives, and harsh alcohols, toxic fragrance. That’s why I went with WaterWipes, which are made with 99.9% purified water and a drop of Grapefruit Seed Extract, perfect for your baby’s sensitive skin. Awarded National Eczema Association of America Seal of Acceptance, these wipes can be used during diapering (obvi), but also on your kids’ hands, their toys and nursery, counters, on your pets, on your own skin, pretty much anything.
- Earth Mama Organic Diaper Balm It’s not often one of the cleanest, purest products is also one of the top-rated on Amazon. But Earth Mama proves non-toxic can still be effective. Made with 100% organic herbs, essential oils and beeswax, and without petroleum, parabens or artificial fragrance, this extra soothing organic calendula diaper balm helps your baby’s bum stay soft and happy–it even doubles as a multi-tasking skin salve for everyone in the family.
It should be no surprise by now that toxins are everywhere and we’ve got to be extra careful with what we buy and expose our sweet infant’s sensitive and new immune system to.
Whether it’s their seats, swaddles, pillows or cribs, we have to play detective for all our baby gear purchases. Here are some safe favorites I’ve found:
- Kepi Newborn Support System: Hip and healthy, this comprehensive support system is more than a swaddle! Since it can take 2 to 3 months for the neck muscles in infants to fully develop, it’s a constant worry for mamas to try and keep our newborn’s head and neck aligned. The Kepi dock design provides safe and unique head, neck and spine support, while also promoting easier breathing for a safe, calm and comfortable place for your swaddled little one to relax. Bonus: you can even use the dock as a place to sit baby, a changing pad or a bath tub. Buy it on Amazon.
- Snuggle Me Organic Lounger: This 100% organic cotton and fleece co-sleeper and mobile infant lounger is not only a dream pillow for your baby, it’s convenient for you: bring to bed, tote around the house, or take with you traveling. It’s safe and secure with cushions all around and a hammock effect in the center, so that you can be sure your baby will lay flat without rolling over. Buy it at The Tot or on Amazon.
- 4moms mamaRoo 4 infant seat: This is the infant seat of the 21st century! It not only bounces up and down and sways from side to side (just like parents do when comforting their babies), but also features five unique motions and five speed options for a total of 25 different combinations. Plus, it has four built-in sounds to soothe your baby, or you can connect your phone to play music, too. Buy it at BuyBuyBaby, Target or on Amazon.
- NUNA SENA Aire Travel Crib: Many play yards contain mattresses made of polyurethane foam–which has potential to offgas–and most also contains flame retardants. That’s why I went with Nuna, which is made with Oeko-Tex certified fabrics. The mattress is made of polyurethane foam and fiber fill, but is free of flame retardants, phthalates and bromine. Its got a clever design with an easy one-step fold and includes a bassinet, convenient travel bag and organic sheets. Buy it at Bloomingdale’s, Dillards, The Tot, Nordstrom or on Amazon.
- BabyBjorn Bouncer Balance Soft: This fun and ergonomic bouncer-and-chair-in-one helps develop your baby’s motor skills and balance. I like it as a less techy alternative to the MamaRoo. It’s available in cotton, mesh, and organic cotton. All fabrics that touch baby’s skin in Baby Bjorn products are certified safe to the Oeko-Tex 100, Class 1 standard. Buy it at Jet, BuyBuyBaby or on Amazon.
Unfortunately, baby clothes aren’t immune to toxins, either. Be sure to be extra careful with children’s sleepwear as some contain flame retardants. Also avoid children’s rain gear (e.g. rain jackets, rain boots) made out of PVC/vinyl.
When going with cotton, ideally strive for organic as conventionally grown cotton is the dirtiest crop in the world, grown with significant amounts of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, and is then processed with a wide range of toxic chemicals.
Here are some of my favorite safe brands for baby clothes:
- Hanna Andersson Organic Baby Clothes: I was so excited to find such cute, organic options with Hanna Andersson, like this classic organic one piece (and for only $16)! They make clothes for infants all the way up to boys and girls 14 years old. Check out their site and adorable inventory, but warning: you’re about to fall in love!
- aden + anais Organic Swaddles, Blankets, Bibs, and Loveys: aden + anais creates high quality muslin products, from swaddles and blankets to towels and sheets to clothing and bibs. Muslin is a gentle yet durable and breathable fabric, meaning it reduces the risk of overheating and has a perfect amount of stretchiness. They also make super soft hypoallergenic disposable diapers, free from harsh chemicals, fragrances, lotions, latex and chlorine. Orders over $50 ship free! Plus their patterns are modern and hip, not cheesy and technicolor like so many baby products.
- SwaddleMe Organic Swaddle: These cute 100% organic cotton swaddles fasten with hook and loop attachments, and the leg pouch allows for easy diaper checks and changes. Buy it at BuyBuyBaby or on Amazon.
- ATTITUDE Little Ones Fragrance Free Laundry Detergent: Don’t forget about your detergent! You’ll be doing a lot of laundry as a new mom and want to ensure you’re sticking with safe yet effective cleaning methods for your little one’s sensitive skin. ATTITUDE’s detergent is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, free of carcinogen ingredients and cruelty-free–great for clothes and cloth diapers alike. Certified MADE SAFE, too.
- ATTITUDE Baby Natural Laundry Stain Remover: Likewise, ATTITUDE’s natural stain remover is non-toxic and made from plant- and mineral-based efficient ingredients. It works like magic: just spray, rub, wait and rinse away the stain (and let’s face it: we can all use a little magic when it comes to chores like laundry!). This fragrance-free, hypoallergenic formula is also dermatologist tested and certified by the National Eczema Association.
You would think that all the bath products out there claiming to be extra gentle for your baby’s delicate skin wouldn’t contain known carcinogens, endrocine disruptors, skin irritants and asthmagens.
But, so very sadly, you’d be wrong.
Take the ever-popular Johnson’s Baby Wash. Made with harmful synthetic fragrance, formaldehyde-releasing quaternium-15 (WTF?!), harsh sulfates and other toxic, allergy-causing chemicals, this baby wash is anything but safe.
Cetaphil Baby isn’t any better, and neither are most mainstream baby bathing products. Preservatives like parabens, harsh soaps (ingredients that start with “PEG” or have an “-eth” in the middle like sodium laureth sulfate), synthetic fragrances and dyes (look for “FD&C,” or “D&C”) make up most of the ingredient lists.
The good news: some brands still manage to get it right. Here are some of my top picks for natural baby bath products.
- Non-Toxic Baby Bath Products:
- Baby Mantra‘s skin care products for babies, kids and expectant moms are all EWG Verified
- Earth Mama is an organic brand that provides safe, herbal alternatives for pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women and babies made without petroleum products, mineral oil, parabens or sulfates, no artificial fragrance or Triclosan
- Pleni Naturals are certified MADE SAFE skincare products for babies and kids using premium fruit + veggie ingredients; also certified vegan + cruelty-free
- Boon Naked Collapsible Baby Bathtub: This adorable, collapsible tub makes bathing baby easy. The design simply secures into place, drains with ease and hangs to dry. Buy it at Jet or on Amazon.
- i play. baby’s Baby Brush & Comb + green sprouts Organic Muslin Baby Bath Swaddle & Washcloth Set: Clean your little one with these soft, organic muslin washcloths. Then, keep baby warm post-bath with this organic swaddle that snuggles them while drying. Did your infant come out with a head of hair? Use this natural wood brush and comb with goat hair bristles to keep their little strands silky soft! Plus, get 30% off your first order from i play. baby + green sprouts with the code RootAndRevel!
- Non-Plastic Bath Toys: I love Ubbi’s Bath toys and BeginAgain Bathtub Pals Rubber Bathtub Toy. Ubbi’s toys are guaranteed BPA, PVC, & Phthalate free, and BeginAgain’s adorable toys are made with eco-friendly, plant-based natural rubber with no BPAs, phalates, or lead.
- Innobaby Bathin’ Smart Silicone Fish Antimicrobial Bath Scrub: This silicone scrubber is mold-resistant and dries quickly (read: doesn’t harbor harmful bacteria). It’s gentle enough to clean baby’s sensitive skin, while having the added therapeutic benefit of being a great tool to massage and relax baby’s body.
Just like conventional baby bath products, most mainstream baby products claiming to protect your baby’s health, including medicine, are super toxic and full of harmful chemicals.
Look at Children’s Sudafed or Motrin for proof–artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors and worse make up the ingredient list.
BUT….there are a few safe and natural options, and here are my favorites:
- Fridababy Bitty Bundle of Joy Kit: Every mom I know raves about Fridababy’s snot sucker (will this ever not be gross to me?!)… so I figured why not get the whole kit and kaboodle? This adorable packaged kit is complete with the essentials you’ll need right away, like baby nail clippers + file, tools to help relieve a snotty nose or gas, and their MomWasher to make perineal care easier for the new mom.
- Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier: Soft plastic teethers are typically made of PVC and are softened with phthalates–and even products marked PVC, BPA, and phthalate-free can have estrogenic properties. That’s why I opted for Avent’s Soothie Pacifier; it’s BPA-free, made from hospital-grade silicone and is even distributed in many hospitals nationwide.
- SANPU Digital Thermometer: A temperature read in 8 seconds? It IS possible with SANPU’s digital thermometer! It’s mercury-free, waterproof and easy to clean.
- Oilogic Natural Medicines: Tired of trying to figure out your own essential oil home remedies? Make your life easier with Oilogic Natural Medicines’ 100% natural essential oil blends like their Bug Bites & Itch Relief, Ear & Tummy Troubles, Stuffy Nose & Cough and Slumber & Sleep Roll ons. All their Roll-ons are MADE SAFE certified and free of petroleum, phthalates, parabens, sulfates, gluten, dea, dyes, synthetic perfumes, artificial colors and mineral oil.
- Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Humidifier: Essential for allergies, sinuses or coughs, a humidifier is a must. This one last for 50 hours between refills, is nearly silent and has an essential oil tray to boot!
- Maty’s All Natural Baby Ointment: Made with just a handful of natural ingredients, this cruelty-free ointment protects your baby’s tush from diaper rash or dry skin. It can also be used for eczema, chapped lips and more. Maty’s products are all free from petroleum (unlike Vaseline and Aquaphor), fragrances, hydrogenated oils, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial colors, mineral oils and chemicals.
- Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+: This top-rated sunscreen by the EWG is water resistant and goes on with ease without leaving an oily residue. Thinkbaby has more awards than any other sun care line and is super safe, and free from toxins like parabens, phthalates and PABA.
- The Honest Company Breathe Easy Rub: Gently rub this certified organic aromatic vapor rub made with lavender and rosemary oils (and WITHOUT menthol, petrolatum, lanolin, parabens, synthetic fragrances, mineral oil, or dyes like Vick’s BabyRub) onto baby’s chest, neck and back to help soothe, comfort and rest into a great night’s sleep.
- green sprouts Cool Calm Press: Did baby bump his head? This cute compress helps soothe minor aches, bumps, and bruises with cold therapy. The BPA-free synthetic rubber shell is filled with a non-toxic gel that is flexible when frozen to creates a safe, natural remedy to reduce swelling. Plus, get 30% off your first order from i play. baby + green sprouts with the code RootAndRevel!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you need to be vigilant with the ingredients in your baby’s toys. Because babies so often put toys in their mouth, plus absorb a lot through direct skin contact, this is an often overlooked yet critical area to go natural.
Here’s the scoop:
- Avoid toys made out of plastic/PVC/vinyl, which often include hormone-disrupting phthalates, BPA or BPS, and may also retain trace amounts of chlorine-related carcinogens.
- Avoid toys with potentially toxic paints/finishes (i.e. lead or formaldehyde-based glues), and other toys (e.g. metal jewelry, play make-up) likely to contain lead or other heavy metals.
- Avoid flame retardants, which are found in hard plastic toys, soft toys, and toys containing foam.
Check out some of my favorite safe baby toy brands:
- Lovevery Play Gym: This adorable play gym is made from 100% baby-safe materials, with FSC-certified wood, organic cotton teether, organic removable accessories and sustainably-sourced wooden legs. This play gym supports all your baby’s learning stages, from batting to teething to learning to focus to sensory exploration. It even converts to a play fort for extra fun. Plus, it stores easily and is machine washable. I already love this toy and can tell it’s well worth the price!
- Little Nomad Roam Free Play Mat: Even though I’m going to have a baby, I don’t want my house to look like a plastic rainbow exploded everywhere (is that realistic?!). Getting a beautiful play mat that looks more like a beautiful rug really helps transform the room and adds a touch of elegance and serenity, while practically giving baby a safe space to crawl around. The Roam Free Mat is made with non-toxic EVA foam that exceeds US and EU safety requirements, and also wipes clean (read: less laundry, woohoo!). We went with the Starry Night design.
- Bannor Toys: Go classic with Bannor Toys, handmade, eco-friendly wooden heirloom toys made in the USA. They have the cutest stuff like personalized wood toys and wood blocks, wooden rattles, wood teethers, wood toy cars, building blocks and more.
- Bioserie Toys: Bioserie toys are made from a special blend of modified PLA (Polylactic Acid) and natural additives, containing 0% oil-based chemicals as their materials are all derived from plants. They are the first ever products in their category to have received USDA’s BioPreferred Program 100% biobased certification. Now you can rest assured that your baby is safe when playing with traditional toys like stackers, sorting cubes, rattles and more
- Sophie La Girafe So’Pure Prestige set: You can’t throw a stone without hitting a Sophie Girafe at a baby shower these days. This cute-as-can-be teether’s dynamic shapes gives baby multiple size options for teething. It’s made from 100% natural rubber and this gift set also includes a vanilla teether.
What’s on your non-toxic baby registry? Share your favorite natural baby products in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.