Looking for the best toners to hydrate, even your skin tone, and reduce blemishes, lines, and pores? Here are our favorite clean, non-toxic facial toner picks in green beauty!
Today we're sharing our favorite picks for the best toners we've personally used and loved over the last few years.
But first: what is a face toner, anyway, and why do you need one?
A toner is a fast-penetrating liquid that delivers hydration and helps remove some dead cells off the surface of the skin.
Here are some of the benefits:
- cleanses and tones the skin for a more even skin tone
- replenishes moisture and hydration
- removes makeup residue and impurities
- give your complexion a plumper, firmer appearance and a dewy glow
- can help minimize the look of pores, fine lines and wrinkles
- acts as a primer for the rest of your skincare routine like serums and moisturizers for better absorption
Make sure to use your toner right after cleansing and before applying any other products.
Convinced that you need a facial toner now?
Annnd, just like all our other beauty recommendations here at Root + Revel, we're only recommending products that are ‘clean' and ‘green'–meaning every item on the list below is safe and free from toxins (unlike most mainstream products on the shelf!).
Let's dive into our picks for the best toners in clean beauty!
Top 9 Best Toners in Clean Beauty
Our #1 winner:
- True Botanicals Clear Nutrient Toner: This is a super gentle and yet super effective antibacterial toner that clears blemishes and congestion, balancing out the oil in your skin (unlike traditional acne astringent which actually strips your skin of oils and causes it to produce more sebum leading to more breakouts!). It's non-drying to help restore your skin to its natural brilliance and even skin tone.
- Made with: sandalwood hydrosol, sustainably sourced from Hawaii, a potent natural disinfectant that imparts a lasting glow; olive leaf extract for soothing properties that blemish-prone skin craves; and black willow bark extract,–the original salicylic acid–straight from nature (unlike its less expensive, synthetically derived counterpart, it exfoliates skin without irritation or sensitivity)
- Best for: oily and combination skin types.
Ready to try this facial toner? Get 15% off at True Botanicals with the code Root15.
- Beautycounter Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence: This milky, soothing essence is kind of like a toner, but more nourishing. It’s lightweight and lends vital nutrients to the skin’s moisture barrier, instantly boosting hydration and radiance. Formulated with Beautycounter's plant-derived Retinatural Complex (a safe alternative to Retinol), mineral-rich sea water, and a fermented blend of sugars, it renews and balances the skin and preps it for the treatment steps that follow. Plus, it's clinically proven to improve skin’s barrier function!
- Leahlani Skincare Citrus and Citrine Regenerating Toning Mist: Looking for an illuminating glow? This toning mist will revitalize and brighten your skin tone by boosting your cellular metabolism and promoting healing. Plus, each bottle has a Citrine gemstone inside that has been purified in the Hawaiian sea and sun to promote positive energy. Talk about good vibes!
- True Botanicals Calm Nutrient Mist: Have sensitive skin? This super-soothing face mist helps calm, nourish, and hydrate ultra-sensitive or irritated skin. Use after cleansing or any time your skin needs a soothing spritz. Naturally scented with herbal chamomile and neroli to calm the senses. Helps with dehydration, redness, inflammation, and uneven skin tone. Go here to get 15% off at True Botanicals with the code Root15!
- Beautycounter Countermatch Hydra-Gel Radiance Toner: Made without mineral oils, sulfates, and parabens, this is the prep step you’ve been waiting for. With a unique gel texture and a sustainable glass bottle, this new toner helps minimize the appearance of pores while removing residual impurities, leaving skin hydrated and radiant. Great for thirsty skin.
- True Botanicals Renew Nutrient Mist: Like a daily multi-vitamin for your skin, this ultra-hydrating face mist quenches and refreshes skin with a burst of antioxidants. And as an added bonus, it also sets makeup. Naturally scented with jasmine, neroli, and rose—as subtle and luxurious as nature itself. Perfect for aging or dry skin. Remember: Go here to get 15% off at True Botanicals with the code Root15!
- More of a DIY gal? We always circle back to our DIY Toner, too!
- Heritage Store Rosewater Facial Toner: We often use this simple yet effective toner to apply concealer; simply spritz a beauty blender with the toner to dampen the sponge and then dab into your concealer to help your concealer blend more seamlessly.
What are your favorite facial toners? Leave a comment below with your pick for the best toner to let us know!