Frequent vacuuming has been proven to reduce allergies and asthma–we recommend the Neato Robot Vacuum Cleaner, which captures dust, allergens and pet hair, and you don't even have to lift a finger!
We've talked before about how to clean and purify the air in your home naturally, but another effective, safe and EASY way to keep your home clean is by vacuuming regularly. [insert large sigh here].
Real talk: I hate vacuuming. I may be the laziest person in the world when it comes to vacuuming actually. Which is a HUGE problem since we have two cats and their hair is EVERYWHERE.
Likewise, the dust in our home is a bit out of control. Do you ever look around on your carpets or floors and realize that there are dust bunnies in the corners, clumps of hair hiding by the baseboards, food scraps and crumbs under the table or by the stove, kitty litter around the box, pet hair just floating in the air?
This was once a regular occurrence for me as I was only dusting and vacuuming my house every other week–ain't nobody got time for daily vacuuming, amiright?
Not only was this cleaning tactic pretty unsightly, but I started noticing that my health, particularly my allergies, were getting worse.
It's no secret that pets, despite their adorableness (that's a word, right?…I mean, one look at my sweet kitty Scout and I think you'll agree, it should definitely be added to the dictionary!), are a leading cause of allergies.
Couple pet dander and fur with dust mites and we've got a recipe for allergies and asthma.
In fact, one in five Americans now have allergies, which now account for more than 17 million visits to the doctor per year (source).
And did you know that if you suffer from allergies or asthma, dust mites might be the cause? (source; read more here).
Fortunately, there are many steps you can take to reduce these allergens and prevent allergy outbreaks, including frequent vacuuming, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Ah, okay, so we're back to vacuuming. Buuuuuut, I don't wanna!
Enter the Neato Botvac Connected, a robot vacuum cleaner (it's a real vacuum, not a sweeper!) that uses laser technology (their laser SLAM tech is the same one used in Google's self-driving cars) and super suction to vacuum your home, no work from you involved.
I'll say that again–NO WORK!!
Seriously, this thing is amazing. I've been using the Neato Botvac Connected for a couple months now, and I can't describe how much joy it brings me to watch the little robot clean my house while I lounge on the sofa with a cocktail (okay, I'm usually working at my desk while it's running, BUT the point is, I'm not vacuuming and that is something to celebrate!!!).
Related: DIY Hard Floor Cleaner
Why I love Neato's Robot Vacuums
You can watch this quick video to learn more about the Neato Botvac Connected, but a few of my favorite features include:
- The versatile brush system uniquely designed to pick up more pet hair and get closer to the wall where pet hair clings
- The high-performance, extra-large filter that captures dust and allergens down to .3 microns. (Dust mites are 200-300 microns, while pet dander is .5-100 microns, meaning Neato can collect them all!)
- The Neato app, which works with iOS and Android devices, makes everything easier, as you can set a cleaning schedule, stop or pause the robot from wherever you are, and get instant notification about the status of your vacuuming run.
- The fact that you don't even have to be home while the Neato is running. It's even better for you health to not be in the room while allergens, dirt and debris are being removed.
- Daily Cleaning. Going from bi-weekly cleanings to daily has made a huge difference in our allergies. The more the Neato runs, the safer your home becomes. And all without any work on your part. I know I already said that, but obviously, this is my very favorite feature!
Tips for Reducing Allergies and Asthma by Vacuuming
Although you can simply run your Neato regularly to reduce allergies and asthma, there are a few hacks that will boost the effects:
- Dust before you vacuum so any loose dust will be captured by your vacuum’s filter. I recommend using a microfiber cloth with our DIY Homemade Dust, Wood and Furniture Polish Spray.
- Sprinkle baking soda over your carpet before vacuuming, as it can help loosen hair from the fiber AND it gets rid of odors.
- Replace carpeted areas with hard surfaced flooring, as carpet attracts and keeps dust and pollen that is extremely difficult to remove.
- Supplement your vacuuming with other cleaning techniques–unfortunately, vacuuming alone is not enough to remove all dust mites and their waste as they live deep inside the stuffing of sofas, chairs, mattresses, pillows and carpeting. This article provides some great tips on getting rid of dust mites.
- Add an HEPA Air Filter/Purifier to your bedroom. We splurged for the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Pet Pure Tower, and it was worth every penny. You can read more about that here.
Related: DIY Natural Carpet Cleaner
Thanks to our friends at Neato for sponsoring this post!
You can buy your Neato here:
If you’re looking for more safe and natural ways to keep your home clean, be sure to check out our FREE eBook!
The book is exclusive to email subscribers, and includes 8 natural homemade cleaning recipes, plus a handy shopping list of the 10 essential ingredients you need to make your own cleaning recipes!
Photo Credit Heidi Geldhauser