Need a gift idea for the new mama in your life? In this DIY new mom gift basket, we've put together a creative care package of natural, healthy items to perfectly support any woman, from at-home pampering products to herbal remedies for breastfeeding to natural baby treatments. This is the best new mom survival kit!
Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and has been updated with the latest products and ideas!
From personal experiences, we know first hand what a new mother needs–for both herself and for baby– so we thought it would be fun to put together a “New Mama” themed gift basket! There are so many options out there for things to include in a gift basket but here we have put together a selection of items that we have personally tired and feel comfortable recommending to you and know they will put a smile on any new mom's face!
New Mom Gift Basket Ideas
This new mom gift basket strikes the perfect balance between practical and pampering. There are so many things you need to think about with a newborn around (stinky diapers, stuffy noses and endless crying, to name a few) that it can be hard for any new mama to even think about her own needs.
Yet, it's such a critical time to really focus on self-care and balanced health. That's why this basket includes things like teas, face masks and bath salts that not only give a feeling of relaxation and luxury, but also provide a purpose for taking care of mama's changing body.
Here's the full list of the items we picked out:
- Traditional Medicinals Sunshine Tea: This slightly sweet tea with notes of honey is true to its name–with kanna (a succulent) as its main ingredient, this tea will simultaneously make you feel relaxed yet optimistic and upbeat like it's a sunshiny day everyday, which can be a lifesaver for new mamas (and all without any caffeine!).
- Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk tea, bars and chews: We can't get enough of these Mother's Milk products, which supports breast milk production and promotes healthy lactation. I've also been loving the chews (such a great way to get in much-needed nutrition when you don't feel like drinking a cup of hot tea) and their lactation bars, which are super delicious. We'll be honest, with all these natural remedies, our breast milk was pumping and flowing like nobody's business!
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Smooth Move Tea: Real talk: postpartum constipation is real and that first poop can be a little unnerving. This tea is a great alternative to traditional laxatives and supports relief from occasional constipation. It's made from fennel, coriander and ginger to reduce the potential for unpleasant feelings like cramping.
- Cariloha Hibiscus Strip Socks: We love Cariloha's super soft, bamboo socks. Just look how cute these are! And what new mama isn't in need of something super comfy to help support those tired feet!
- Vineyard Hill Naturals Mandarin + Redwood Soy Candle: We found these candles at a Sprouts store and they can also be found on Amazon. They smell so good! It's super hard to decide on which scent to choose!
- Vineyard Hill Naturals Applewood and Amber Soy Candle: It's so hard to choose between these lovely fragrances but this was another winner!
- Blissful Being Lavender Eye Pillow: The sound of babies crying definitely makes this pillow a necessity! It can be used for either hot or cold depending on your preference and is soft and luxurious with it's satin finish!
- Yeti Wine Tumbler in Bimini Pink! For those new mamas who drink an occasional glass of wine (or other cold bevy), this tumbler is a must. Trying to get through a cold glass of anything before it warms up is nearly impossible so this tumbler is just the ticket to keep that mama happy!
- Lively Up Your Breath! Mints: For busy moms, these 100% natural breath mints (made from over 95% organic ingredients) will come in handy, plus there's no refined sugar, honey, artificial ingredients, binders or preservatives.
- Mineral Fusion Makeup: Mineral Fusion is a super clean, cruelty-free cosmetic and beauty line free of parabens, gluten, artificial colors, phthalates and other harsh ingredients–important considerations for any natural mama. For makeup, we love their lipsticks, BB Cream and eye shadows.
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian Detox Towelettes: Because seriously, ain't nobody got time to wash their face when caring for a newborn! These handy wipes absorb makeup while detoxing and balancing skin.
- Pacifica Kale Water Cleansing Tonic: Speaking of no time, this secret weapon will give any mommy a natural glow, no rinsing required! It especially helps with breakouts while being gentle on the skin.
- Pacifica Pollution Fight Sheet Face Masks: Perfect for mama's self-care routine, this easy pre-cut sheet mask gives her permission to relax for 15 minutes while this 100% cotton mask fights toxins on her behalf.
- Andalou Naturals Sheet Masks: Does mom want to hydrate? Brighten and tighten? Firm and lift? There's an Andalou Naturals mask for any of her facial needs!
- Hugo Naturals Bath Bombs: There's nothing like a soothing bath once baby has fallen asleep. These effervescent balls are filled with minerals and essential oils to moisturize and condition your skin.
- Everyone Geranium + Sweet Orange Bubble Bath: Mama will enjoy her precious, serene moments alone with this bubble bath made from organic botanicals extracts.
- Solimo Epsom Salt Soaking Aid, Lavender Scented Epsom Salt: Need to soothe achy, tired muscles? How about get a better night's sleep? Epsom salts are here to help! Sprouts has a great in-house brand of many personal care and beauty products that work just as well as name brand for a better price.
- Motherlove: This line of natural, organic, herbal breastfeeding supplements increase breast milk production, and their organic herbal body care is perfect for pregnancy, childbirth and babies. Their award-winning nipple cream is a life saver for breastfeeding mamas!
- The Honest Company All Purpose Balm: With a ‘No List’–a list of over 3,000 chemicals/materials that they’ll never use in their products–The Honest Company is a truly transparent and reliable brand. Moms will love their organic, hypoallergenic All Purpose Balm that they can use to hydrate skin, hair and cuticles, and is even safe enough for baby. Great for cuts and scrapes, too!
- Xlear Kid's Nasal Spray: This chemical-free, non-GMO saline plus xylitol spray helps clear out your baby's stuffy nose so well! The addition of xylitol helps draw moisture in and keep the nasal passages and sinuses more moist and clean than saline alone.
- Boiron Camilia Teething Relief: Preservative-free relief for teething, including painful gums and irritability. Also helps in relieving minor digestive disorders sometimes associated with teething. Free from benzocaine, alcohol, flavors, dyes, lactose, sugar and artificial sweeteners, recommended for babies one month and up.
- Boiron Cocyntal Colic Relief: Designed to help your baby feel better from colic-related symptoms like gas pain, cramping and irritability. How? With wood charcoal (helps with abdominal bloating with gas), bitter cucumber (for constipation, liver, and gallbladder ailments) and copper (for leg and muscle cramps).
- Wish Garden Herbs: WishGarden Herbs handcrafts their organic and sustainably wild-harvested herbs into a number of oils that address everything from immune system health to sleep, allergies, pregnancy and more. For new mamas, try Milk Rich which supports healthy breast milk and volume, AfterEase to soothe afterbirth contractions, and Happy Ducts for herbal lactation support that keeps the lymph system moving for nursing mothers.
So there you have it! Those are just a few ideas to fill that new mom gift basket but don't forget about some practical gifts like diapers, wipes, and formula (if they're not breastfeeding!) too!
This post was originally sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. All thoughts and opinions are ours. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.