Best Grocery Store: 5 Reasons I Shop at Sprouts Farmers Market
Sprouts Farmers Market is the go-to grocery store if you’re looking for healthy, high quality and sustainably sourced products–all at affordable prices! In this post, you’ll learn how to save even more money when you shop, what makes Sprouts stand out against their competitors and how your dollars contribute to giving back to amazing causes. Plus, download our free 25 Best Things to Buy at Sprouts grocery store list!
This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
I know we talk a lot about online shopping here on R+R, and I’m not gonna lie–I totally love the convenience of ordering food, personal care and household supplies online like at Thrive Market, Butcher Box, Amazon and other smaller retailers.
But the truth is, some things just can’t be done online.
You can’t pick out the exact perfect piece of fresh fruit or avocados or vegetables that you want for your weekly meal plan from behind your computer screen. You can’t touch and feel and smell the deliciousness.
You can’t try a sample of creamy organic cheese that’s so tasty, you happily proceed to buy a block.
You can’t discover that some fresh fish just got delivered to the market that was caught 48 hours ago (healthy dinner, solved!).
You can’t realize at 4 p.m. that you’re out of something you need for dinner–even online grocery delivery usually takes a couple hours.
Plus, don’t you just sometimes genuinely enjoy going into a beautiful grocery store and looking around, getting excited about what’s new and picking out your food in person?
Sometimes, a traditional trip to a brick-and-mortar grocery store just can’t be beat.
When I need to go, one of my favorite places to shop is Sprouts Farmers Market. They have an abundance of organic farm-fresh produce, meat and wild-caught seafood, thousands of healthy pantry staples and one of the best natural wellness sections (including superfoods, probiotics, homeopathic medicine, non-toxic shampoo, face wash and essential oils)–all at affordable prices!
With dozens of grocery store options these days, I think it’s important to find the few brands who offer the right balance of quality AND price, and in my opinion, Sprouts Farmers Market does an amazing job at delivering that value.
Their selection is in line with Whole Foods, but their prices are in line with Kroger. That’s what makes Sprouts the best grocery store, IMHO.
If you’re looking for the closest location, go to the store locator to find a Sprouts near you.
Here are 5 more reasons I love shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market.
Be sure to also download our handy shopping list of 25 Must Buy Products at Sprouts!
5 Reasons I Shop at Sprouts Farmers Market…and you should too!
1) Sprouts Farmers Market: Sourcing
Sprouts’ mission of striving to work with sustainable, ethical, healthy and high-quality companies and farmers is a total match for our philosophy here at R+R.
They give preference to suppliers who employ sustainable sourcing, fair treatment of people and animal welfare standards. Here are some awesome stats that you probably don’t know about Sprouts:
- 90% of the products they carry are natural or organic.
- 90% of their fresh and frozen seafood is sourced from responsibly managed fisheries.
- Sprouts carries over 6,000 Non-GMO verified products and 4,500 certified organic products.
What makes Sprouts a “farmers market”? They focus on local produce as much as possible, meaning anything that’s made or produced in that state or within 500 miles.
We all know that eating locally is great for many reasons: it helps support the local economy; it helps our gut health (since we’re ingesting microbes and good bacteria from the local soil, and because we’re eating foods that are more fresh and thus have greater nutrients); it helps lessen our environmental impact by reducing transportation costs and energy to ship produce around the country and the world.
Finally, Sprouts’ house brand selection for snacks, drinks, pantry staples, etc. is also really great (super cheap and mostly organic!), plus they have tons of organic, healthy brands that can be harder to find at mainstream stores.
For example, all of their eggs are 100% cage free, all of their household cleaning products are certified cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program and over 70% of the Sprouts Brand packaged food products are non-GMO verified or certified organic.
2) Sprouts Farmers Market: Sustainability
Not only does Sprouts focus on sourcing sustainable products, they’re committed to reducing their environmental impact with a Zero Food Waste initiative.
In 2017, they recovered more than 155 million pounds of food and other recyclables from their waste streams, resulting in an overall diversion rate of 55%. What does this mean in application?
It means they diverted 25 million pounds of food waste to animal feed, reducing the amount of new crops needed for feed.
It means 36 farms in the US were provided with essential cattle feed.
It means that 5 million pounds of food waste was composted to enrich the soil and reduce the need for chemical fertilizers, suppling approximately 100 acres of cropland with compost (about 70 football fields).
What’s super cool and innovative to me is that Sprouts’ stores and overall operational systems are also eco-friendly.
I don’t think most of us realize just how much energy and resources are spent running large retail stores, especially when it comes to the transportation of goods in our supply chain. It’s tough to wrap our heads around the operations of what it takes to get produce from the farm to the shelf ready for purchase, but it really is a massive endeavor.
To counter this, Sprouts is committed to reducing their greenhouse gas emissions and overall impact on the planet. Check this out:
- In stores, they feature energy reducing features like night curtains, LED lighting and harvesting natural light.
- They’ve recycled 80 million pounds of cardboard, 22 million plastic bags and nearly 1 million pounds of other recyclables like glass, aluminum and plastic.
- Sprouts received the EPA’s Store Certification Excellence Award for having 76 EPA GreenChill-certified stores. (GreenChill is an EPA partnership with food retailers to reduce refrigerant emissions and decrease their impact on the ozone layer and climate change.)
- They’ve also partnered with EPA SmartWay transportation carriers, which are dedicated to increasing fuel economy in their fleets and reducing carbon emissions.
3) Sprouts Farmers Market: Affordability
In a nutshell, Sprouts’ prices are significantly cheaper than Whole Foods, though their selection is just as healthy (except, in the spirit of honesty, when it comes to organic, grass-fed meats).
Even though the prices are already more in line with mainstream grocery stores like Kroger, Albertson’s, Walmart and Target (did you know that at any given time, one-third of the store is on sale?), there are so many other ways to save!
Extra tips to save even more at Sprouts:
- Weekly deals: Every week they have specials that run from Wednesday to Wednesday, so if you shop on that day you can save even more since the ads overlap. Two ads on one day means double the deals!
- Mobile App: I’ll admit, most stores’ mobile apps are disappointing, but Sprouts is actually awesome! Download their new app where you can add promo codes and digital coupons to your account and then simply scan at checkout to save. Their coupons are super generous and for healthy foods you’d actually want to buy, not just a bunch of junk.
- Monthly deals: In addition to the weekly flyer, there are also Deals of the Month indicated throughout the store, with usually 2,000 or more at any given moment. Wow!
- Buy in bulk: On most products, you’ll receive an automatic 10% discount when you purchase an entire case of the product. On wine, you get the 10% off when buying just 6 bottles. With vitamins and supplements, you get a 10% discount on your total purchase when you buy $100 worth. There’s also a bulk section, which can save you money on non-perishables like grains and beans.
- Special Promos: Sprouts is known for their special promotions like the 72-Hour Sales, Vitamin Extravaganzas, Frozen Frenzies and Sprouts Brand Sales. Join their mailing list to get updated on all these awesome offers! I’m always amazed at how great the deals are.
- Buy Sprouts Brand: As mentioned above, Sprouts has high-standard private label products that are extremely affordable, yet still with an emphasis on organic, non-GMO, and natural ingredients. The best of both worlds!
- Free Delivery: Strapped for time? Shop online at Sprouts via Instacart and get free delivery!
4) Sprouts Farmers Market: Good balance of good and good for you
You know that’s our motto here at R+R, and Sprouts Farmers Market really hits the spot.
As we talked about in #1, the vast majority of Sprouts’ products are healthy, organic, additive-free and sustainable.
While this means that about 10% of their products don’t fall into the these categories, remember: we can’t expect to be “perfect” 100% of the time (hello, 80-20 rule!).
I love that Sprouts not only has a few more indulgent items for when you feel the need to splurge, but that they are also making healthy living accessible by continuing to offer some mainstream products new customers would expect–affordable eggs and milk, for example.
They’ve got an option for folks who only want to spend $2 or less on a dozen eggs, and for shoppers like me who put an emphasis on organic, pasture-raised eggs, they’ve got those too. And usually for less than $5-6 per dozen.
During a recent trip to Phoenix with Sprouts, one of their employees told me that Sprouts is “not about a diet of subtraction, it’s more thoughtful than that”.
I couldn’t agree more and that’s why I love shopping at Sprouts–it’s all about balance, and Sprouts does a great job of offering options to consumers yet still largely promoting the healthiest, most ethical and sustainable options.
We have that in common–a passion for food AND helping people.
5) Sprouts Farmers Market: Sprouts Gives Back
I fully believe in the importance of giving back and love supporting companies that make this a priority in their business.
In 2015, Sprouts founded their Healthy Communities Foundation that empowers people to live healthier lives by providing them with education and access to nutrition education and healthy food. Since then, the Foundation has donated over $5.1 million to over 120 nonprofit health and wellness organizations.
One of their key partners is Real School Gardens, an organization that helps kids get healthier by developing in-school nutrition curriculums and building school gardens. By combining academics with experiential outdoor learning, Real School Gardens has shown to increase standardized test scores by 12-15%, and increase teacher effectiveness and job satisfaction by a whopping 50%!
During that same Phoenix trip I mentioned above, we packed 175 snack kits up with Sprouts and United Way to donate to a local school so mom’s would have plenty of healthy food options for their kids over the summer.
Another partner is Vitamin Angels, who have helped more than 2 million mothers and children around the world get life-saving vitamins.
Locally, they’ve donated 19 million meals to their communities, give 350 hunger relief agency partners donations every single week, and donate food, water and money to holiday food drives and disaster relief initiatives, like with the American Red Cross to support Hurricanes Harvey and Irma in 2017.
This year, they anticipate funding 130 organizations. Amazing, right?
There are 300 Sprouts locations nationwide and counting–go to the store locator to find a location near you!
Do you have a Sprouts in your community? What are your favorite things about Sprouts or your go-to products! Let us know in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.