Beautycounter Review: Make the Switch to Safe Makeup + Skincare Products
In this Beautycounter review, we reveal the facts of how this safe, non-toxic beauty brand is one of the best on the market for natural makeup, green skincare and effective hair products. We also share our favorite buys from each cosmetic category and how you can save money today with their Band of Beauty Membership!
Did you know that there are 80,000+ chemicals found in beauty and personal care products–even the high-end ones from department stores and luxe beauty boutiques–most of which have not been tested for safety?
While, thankfully, education around the importance of eating organic, real food for a healthy life is becoming more prevalent, sadly most people still don’t know the dangers of the other products we put in or on our bodies, even though they can be just as damaging.
In fact, our skin is our largest organ and absorbs over 60 percent of what we put on it–and these harmful chemicals go directly into our bloodstream!
And sadly, the FDA is doing essentially nothing to protect us. The last time a law was passed in the cosmetic industry was 1938…raise your hand if you think a lot has changed since then?! ????????
In fact, while Europe has banned over 1,400 chemicals, the United States has banned a whopping 30…because that makes sense, right?
Because the FDA allows companies to use untested chemicals in their makeup, skincare and hair products, many of which are already known to be extremely harmful to our bodies, it’s up to us to learn what’s safe and determine what brands we can count on.
I know–it’s scary and can definitely be overwhelming when you’re trying to transition to a healthier life. Sometimes it’s hard to know where to start.
That’s why I absolutely love Beautycounter. If you’re looking for safe, non-toxic makeup, skin care, hair care and body products, you have just been introduced to your new happy place!
Beautycounter is truly committed to a health and safety standard that goes well beyond what is legally required in the United States.
As it’s one of the cleanest beauty brands on the market, it makes transitioning all of your beauty and personal care products a breeze since you can confidently trust that anything you buy will be cleaner than most other brands AND effective.
That last part is key–because I’ve tried plenty of crunchy products that, quite frankly, just don’t work.
But I’ve been using their products for over two years and they’re the perfect compromise between crunchy, natural beauty and high-end, Sephora-quality products. Plus, they work. Seriously!
But look, I’ll be honest. No company is perfect and Beautycounter is not exempt. I wish their products were organic–they’re definitely not the absolute cleanest or most non-toxic beauty brand on the market.
BUT….they are WAY safer than most conventional products, most of their line is rated a 1 by the EWG, and the company is personally responsible for making a lot of change in the personal care industry to make our products safer, our labels more transparent and our environmental impact smaller.
And that’s something I can get behind.
Ready to make the switch to cleaner cosmetics?!
BEAUTYCOUNTER REVIEW: CLEAN VALUES
What makes Beautycounter so special and reliable?
Other than the very important distinguishing factor that their natural products actually work, the brand is committed to admirable business practices that make me feel really great and at ease about buying from them again and again.
Check it out.
- Their Never List™: Over 1,500 ingredients are NEVER used in their products, including over 1,400 chemicals banned or restricted in personal care products by the European Union, plus additional chemicals screened by Beautycounter and found to be of concern. This includes things like parabens, phthalates, oxybenzone, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and formaldehyde.
- Rigorous screening: Using the best available sources, Beautycounter screens every potential ingredient for information on specific hazards like cancer, developmental toxicity, hormone disruption and infertility. In fact, they go so far as to third party test for contaminants in color cosmetics at three different points in the development cycle, as well as testing for heavy metals to ensure non-detectable levels of lead, cadmium, nickel, mercury, arsenic, and other toxic elements. And when they do use a synthetic ingredient, like phenoxyethanol, they ensure that it’s below 1%.
- Responsibly sourced: They choose the best organic, natural, sustainable and, when necessary, synthetic ingredients that meet their high standards. Over 80% of the ingredients in Beautycounter products are natural or plant-derived.
- Ingredient transparency: Every formula ingredient, including known components of fragrances, flavors, and intentionally added preservatives are listed on the product labels or the website.
- Non-toxic + recyclable packaging: Beautycounter’s packaging has no harmful chemicals that could potentially leach into the product formulas (like PVC and BPA). They opt for glass, safer plastic materials and sustainable paper. The majority of product packaging, including the shipping materials, is recyclable in most communities in North America.
- Commitment to ongoing education: There are major data gaps on most cosmetics ingredients, so Beautycounter reviews emerging data regularly and even commissions their own studies.
- Certifications: Beautycounter is amember of the American Sustainable Business Council; the Safe Cosmetics Business Network; they’re a CarbonFree® Partner of Carbonfund.org; and certified B Corporation (a type of biz that puts a huge emphasis on solving social and environmental problems).
Now you may still have a few questions about Beautycounter, especially because there are some other brands out there that many people consider to be their competition.
Like, what’s the difference between Beautycounter vs. Rodan + Fields? Or Beautycounter vs. Arbonne?
IMHO, the answer is everything! Sadly, these companies put up an appearance of being healthy and natural, but they are far from it; in fact, the products are downright toxic.
Let’s take some ingredients found in Rodan + Fields products, for example. There’s DMDM Hydantoin (which releases formaldehyde), fragrance (one of the most dangerous ingredients in the cosmetic industry) and parabens (linked to breast cancer), to name just a few.
These ingredients and others found in popular mainstream brands contain ties to cancer, hormonal disruption, liver damage, skin irritation, eye irritation, breast cancer and birth defects. (source; source; source)
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics put together this list of concerning chemicals in ‘The Big 7’ companies (Avon, Estee Lauder, Johnson & Johnson, L’Oreal, P&G, Revlon and Unilever) that I highly recommend you check out. Note all the brands listed at the bottom that are owned by these companies; pretty much…. every mainstream brand known to man.
BEAUTYCOUNTER REVIEW: BEST BEAUTYCOUNTER PRODUCTS
Okay, by now you’re probably convinced that Beautycounter really does live up to its hype and reputation. If you’re just getting started and want to try some products, I highly recommend the following items that I’ve personally tried and absolutely adore.
You’ll love the way natural makeup feels on your face, how clean your skin feels and how healthy, silky and voluminous your hair looks when you swap over to these products.
BEAUTYCOUNTER MAKEUP FAVES
- Concealer: Beautycounter’s Concealer Pen: I love this convenient pen that gives great coverage to dark circles, redness and other skin imperfections. The click-pen design and brush applicator make it easy to apply just the right amount exactly where you need it.
- Tinted Moisturizer: Beautycounter’s Dew Skin Moisturizing Coverage SPF20: This lightweight tinted moisturizer feels super hydrating and has the added benefit of protecting your face with SPF 20. It also enhances skin brightness and promotes firmer, smoother-looking skin.
- Foundation: Beautycounter’s Tint Skin Foundation: A perfect daily moisturizer, this creamy foundation looks natural, blending effortlessly to cover your imperfections and even out skin tone. For light coverage, apply with the Retractable Foundation Brush; for medium coverage, apply with the Flat Complexion Brush.
- Bronzer: Beautycounter’s Matte Bronzer: I love the shimmer-free finish on this bronzer that delivers a refined, natural-looking, sun-kissed glow.
- Lipstick: Beautycounter’s Lip Sheer in Plum: This is my go-to daily lip color! It’s so smooth, ultra-moisturizing and delivers a polished sheen. Give a quick swipe for a natural look, layer it on to intensify the color or try it under lip gloss for a shimmery look.
- Mascara: Beautycounter’s Volumizing Mascara: I’ll be honest–their mascara is not my very favorite (see which brand is here), but I do like this volumizing line, especially better than their lengthening mascara. Based on a consumer panel, 100% of people said it lasted all day, 96% reported no flaking or smudging and 96% said it was easy to remove.
- Starter Kit: Flawless in Five: Save $49 when you start with this amazing collection of six products–the Tint Skin Hydrating Foundation, Touchup Skin Concealer Pen, Color Define Brow Pencil, Lengthening or Volumizing Mascara, Powder Blush Duo and Lip Gloss.
BEAUTYCOUNTER SKINCARE FAVES
- Face Mask: Beautycounter’s No. 3 Balancing Charcoal Facial Mask: I adore this face mask; it has a 5-star average rating from 750 reviews! It’s perfect if you’re concerned with congestion and oily skin since the kaolin clay mask deep cleans and balances, absorbs excess oil and draws out impurities. Activated charcoal minimizes the appearance of pores and the salicylic acid stimulates exfoliation.
- Makeup Remover: Beautycounter’s Cleansing Balm: Hydrate your skin while it cleanses, removes makeup and other impurities with this indulgent “face wash”. Bonus? You also get a 100% muslin cloth–softer and gentler on skin than a traditional washcloth.
- Makeup Remover: Beautycounter’s One–Step Makeup Remover Wipes: Disposable wipes are typically filled with chemicals, and they wreak havoc on the environment by adding unnecessary waste. These wipes are biodegradable, compostable, remove makeup and cleanse your skin in one step with hydrating aloe vera & soothing cornflower water. Perfect for when you’re on-the-go!
- Overnight Treatment: Overnight Resurfacing Peel: This new peel is incredible for shrinking pores, reducing wrinkles, evening skin tone and smoothing your skin. It works so well to plump, brighten and resurface your skin!
- Sample Set: No. 3 Balancing Spa Set: Not ready to commit to full-size products yet? I love this travel-sized collection of skin enhancers, so you can test out a variety of products in smaller sizes. This trio includes a mini Facial Mask, mini Facial Mist, and mini Facial Oil which all gently refine oily, uneven skin.
BEAUTYCOUNTER BODY CARE FAVES
I’ll be honest, I do find most of Beautycounter’s body care products to be too expensive–there are cleaner brands on the market available for a fraction of the price, so I rarely use their body wash, hand soap, or lotions.
But one product of theirs that stands out as better than any other I’ve ever tried in the category is their sunscreen!!
- Sunscreen Lotion: Beautycounter’s Protect All Over Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30: Formulated with non-nano zinc oxide and antioxidant-rich California Poppy, this non-toxic formula is gentle and actually rubs into your skin without leaving that white, ashy residue common in natural sunscreens. Plus, it smells AMAZING (a light citrusy scent), and most importantly, it actually works!
- Sunscreen Spray: Beautycounter’s Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30: Unlike many spray sunscreens, Beautycounter‘s non-aerosol mist sprays on white to help guide application (no sunburn stripes!) and ensure you’re fully covered. It’s an effective shield from UVA, UVB & Blue Light rays, reef friendly, safe for children 6 months+ and water resistant.
BEAUTYCOUNTER HAIR CARE FAVES
- Shampoo: Beautycounter’s Volumizing Shampoo: It took me the longest time to find a natural shampoo I actually liked. Finally, this was the first one that not only smelled great but left my hair feeling clean and healthy. It actually suds up/lathers and rinses out completely!
- Conditioner: Beautycounter Smoothing Conditioner: This smoothing formula really helps calm frizz, while detangling your strands. I love how it leaves my locks feeling hydrated, sleek and glossy!
- Volume & Shape Collection or Smooth & Control Collection: Includes shampoo, conditioner and either Hair Oil (for Smooth & Control) or Volumizing Mist (for Volume & Shape), so you can address your hair needs with a balanced, 3-tiered approach.
BEAUTYCOUNTER REVIEW: HOW TO SAVE MONEY
One of the other major perks about Beautycounter that many people don’t know about is their loyalty program, Band of Beauty.
It includes some awesome benefits like:
- Every time you shop, you get a 15% off product credit that you can use on your next order, essentially saving you 15% on all future orders.
- Get a FREE full-sized product as a complimentary gift for signing up when you spend $50.
- Free shipping, always, when you spend over $100.
- Special offers, discounts and exclusive access to new products before they’re available to the general public.
It’s only $29 to join, which you’ll make back with the free gift and future savings. If you’re going to spend more than $100 with Beautycounter each year, this is seriously a no-brainer!
If you’re interested in learning more or have any questions, please do email me and I’d be happy to chat all things green and clean beauty.
What are your favorite Beautycounter buys? Let us know your picks in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.
Photo Credit: Heidi Geldhauser
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I've linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.